wet blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

delirious_1

I just recieved some blanks that are a little wet and have a little fungus on them. (free spalting). Do I need to dry these before I start? If so, what's the best way to do that and not hurt the wood or prevent cracking.

thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
After seeing 1 post, WELCOME.

After checking your profile, where you from???

This will also effect how to dry your blanks.

GaryMGg

Since you have some blanks, you can take one and try microwave drying. Many different ways to do this so do a search and decide which method you like. I've done a few slimlines with success using a microwave drying method.
- G -

low_48

I'm drying blanks really quickly these days. I cover the main trunk line coming from my furnace with blanks. Easy drying species go closer to the furnace, burls go further away. The furnace warms up the blanks, then when it shuts off the blanks cool off. Easy cycling of temp and it doesn't feel quite so bad to have the furnace running so much. Since we are only seeing single digits these days, the furnace is really cranking out the dry blanks.

delirious_1

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />What species of wood?

I have quite a few different species. I live in Texas. I actually opened the packages when I got home this evening and evidently the pieces have been treated and boiled in a mixture of canola oil, CA glue, beeswax and carnuba wax. I guess this is a preservative and they are not really wet althought they seem to be moist still. I was just wondering if I dry them or leave them out if they will split. Thanks all for your replies.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Where in Texas? I'm just out of Houston. There are a lot of Texans on this forum that would be willing to give you pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom