West Coast Yew Wood Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

I am having a ball experimenting with different woods. This pen is from a piece of yew wood that a freind gave me several years ago. It had lots of knots and bad spots but I am glad I saved it because it's easy to salvage enough good pieces of pen size blanks for quite a few pens with that type of wood which would not be suitable for bigger projects. Yew is a very tight grained wood and turns beautifully.
There are also some nicely figured curly grain pieces in the chunk that this one came out so I'm going to run it through the bandsaw and see how many surprises I can find. :)
W.Y.

61544332.jpg

melogic

Great job William. I love the fact that I can create a beautiful writing instrument from a piece of scrap wood that was on its way to the junk yard. I recently got my hands on some American Chestnut from a friends great-great-great grand parents log home. I'm working on several pen and pencil sets for them as we speak. Again, the pen looks awesome. Keep up the good work!

jbjwood2000

Nice pen William. like the grain in it. I work at a landfill, one of the guys gave me a piece of mahogny he found in the trash. made him a pen, the grain was great. should be able to get about 20 pens from the piece. one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom