Wenge advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

punkinn

I'm going to try (emphasizing that last word) to turn some Wenge this weekend... I know it's supposed to be a bear for chipping. Any advice other than the logical (sharp tools, conservative cuts)? Will thin CA help as I turn or is the wood too hard for it to penetrate?

TIA,
Nancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JHFerrell

Nancy,
I've turned a couple of pens in Wenge (sorry no pics!) and you are right. It's tough to turn. The open grain so typical to Wenge begs to snag and catch while turning. One of mine was straight cut with the grain and the other was a bias cut (angled across the grain). The straight cut was much easier and actually turned fairly well. The bias cut, well suffice it to say I use it as an everyday pen. Its actually a pretty nice Baron rollerball and I really like it but don't consider it a "sellable" pen. Have never tried the CA method while turning so can't address that issue. Anyway, sounds like you are on the right track with sharp tools and light cuts. Good luck!

Mikey

light cuts and sharp tools. I too have only turned pens with straight cut, but it turned out nice. Worst part is the splinters. Be careful.

pmichris

Nancy
I was just turning some Wenge last night. The technique I have found that works with Wenge (beyond the light cuts and sharp tools advice) is to turn down to a point a little proud of your bushings sand lightly, thin coat of CA and then turn to final dimension, sand and finish as usual. Hope this helps.

tipusnr

I haven't any pictures either as it was a while ago but I found wenge turned easier with a skew presented almost as a scraper than with any gouge technigue I have at my disposal. I still have a few pieces and fully intend to knock the corners off with either a skew or a band saw and then start shaping with an 80-grit gouge.

dubdrvrkev

After my experience with Wenge, my advice would be to burn it. What a pita that is to turn, I tried it on about my 5th pen and it was horrible. Maybe nowadays it would be okay but there are other woods that I enjoy turning, so why bother.

vick

Originally posted by Russb
<br />I would also suggest using high speed if you don't already....

I am not sure if that is it but I have used it a couple times with out to much problems and I do usually turn at a high speed. This is the last Wenge I made.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200582814730_ZebraWengeSlim1.jpg
<br />

Hi Nancy,
I have turned a few pens out of it, my advice is round it out with a gouge, and light cuts down about 2/3 of the way . Then if you have a skue and are comfortable with it's use,use it, but there again it MUST be super sharp and light cuts. Lots of luck, it is butiful when done if there is a lot of grain.
Just Charlie & Betsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom