Well, poopy: right wrong bit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KD5NRH

Of all the annoying things to figure out too late, the 33/64 bit I got with the Olympian II Elite Starter kit measures .4838 across the cutting edges of the flutes. So apparently, I got two 31/64 bits, one of which is just marked 33/64. (marked on the shank, so it's not just a packing mixup)

Email sent to PSI, so hopefully they'll take care of it, but in the meantime, I've got just the right chunk of antler with not quite the right hole through it, and I doubt any of the hardware stores around here have that bit in stock.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jasontg99

That sucks. I have never heard of that problem before.Hopefully you can figure something out. As they say......Make lemonade with your lemons.

snowman56

If you have an ace hardware store near you they will have it for a price.The one i use has almost anything you can think of but they are proud of them.

KD5NRH

If you have an ace hardware store near you they will have it for a price.The one i use has almost anything you can think of but they are proud of them.

Unfortunately, they're the only ones within 30mi that would be likely to have that size. The other locals are all lumberyards and similar that have better prices, but no oddball sizes.

KD5NRH

Unfortunately, they're the only ones within 30mi that would be likely to have that size. The other locals are all lumberyards and similar that have better prices, but no oddball sizes.

Well, no luck there. Apparently, good decent people don't drill holes between 1/2 and 5/8, and it's the duty of the hardware stores to enforce that.

Meanwhile, PSI customer service is dragging their heels because it was a gift, so I don't have the invoice number.

PaulSF

Well, no luck there. Apparently, good decent people don't drill holes between 1/2 and 5/8, and it's the duty of the hardware stores to enforce that.

Meanwhile, PSI customer service is dragging their heels because it was a gift, so I don't have the invoice number.

Oy, it's what, a $10 item?? And that's retail. Their actual cost is probably $5 or less. Speaking as a retailer, the customer goodwill far outweighs the cost of sending out a freebie.

KD5NRH

Drill a half inch hole and get your round file out to enlarge it, slightly.

That could take forever in antler, since the only round file I have is pretty small. I'm thinking that, due to the fascination the pen kit companies have with odd drill sizes, I'm going to try to make a little-bitty adjustable boring bar for this stuff.

PaulSF said:
Oy, it's what, a $10 item?? And that's retail. Their actual cost is probably $5 or less. Speaking as a retailer, the customer goodwill far outweighs the cost of sending out a freebie.

Well, they haven't said no yet, but every extra email seems to drag these things out another day or two.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You have sandpaper? You have a wood dowel? You have a lathe to make the dowel fit inside a half inch hole?

You have a drill bit, you just have to MAKE it. How desperate ARE you??

Been there, done that!

KD5NRH

You have sandpaper? You have a wood dowel? You have a lathe to make the dowel fit inside a half inch hole?

You have a drill bit, you just have to MAKE it. How desperate ARE you??

Thought about that, but since I'll be working tonight through Sunday night, I figure the boring bar is something I can work on in my downtime at work, and be able to do a few other hole sizes accurately and consistently.

pentex said:
Joe, you might try Home Depot or Lowe's here in Granbury.

If the boring bar doesn't work out, that'll be my next stop. Since I slept in today to get ready for the midnight shift tonight, I really wasn't out and around in time to make a run up there, though.

Rangertrek

Same for me

The same thing happened to me. The bit was marked one size, measured another. PSI replaced the bit, I still have the old one, since they wont pay for return shipping.

It has been several months since this happened, I would have thought their quality control would have been fixed by now. :mad:

KD5NRH

Well, the boring bar worked. No response from PSI via email today. I guess I'll give them through Tuesday or so and then try a bit harder.

KD5NRH

Almost forgot about this post, until the brad point on the bit jabbed me in the finger today. Still nothing from customer service or Ed since January 13th, so I guess they're just not interested in doing anything about it.

I just wonder which of the other companies I've been ordering from since then would like to frame it and make it their "salesman of the month."

PenMan1

Can you put a piece of "Scotch Brite" in the grooves of the bit you have and redrill. If you go slow it works. I use this trick sometimes when the fit is just too tight.

RyanNJ

dug this up for you

This is an open invitation for ANYONE with any customer service issues, shipping or quality issues to contact me directly. Also remember there are usually 2 sides to any story.
Feedback to me is the best way to solve company problems, change policy and correct an individuals order/product issue. I welcome product ideas, product feedback (positive and negative) and constructive criticizim.
We do have a staff of experienced CRS reps on the phone PLUS 3-5 pen technicians who can help with any technical question or problem - if not happy with them contact me.

Sincerely,
Ed
ed@pennstateind.com

KD5NRH

Can you put a piece of "Scotch Brite" in the grooves of the bit you have and redrill. If you go slow it works. I use this trick sometimes when the fit is just too tight.

It's a full 16th shy; it will actually fit inside the tube it's supposed to drill for.

KD5NRH

dug this up for you

Sent him a message about it back on 1/13 with no response.

Frankly, at this point I don't see it as being worth more effort on my part for a DOA item when there are other suppliers with the same and/or better products and faster shipping at the same price.

jimofsanston

If you call the international number on their site. It goes to the main office number and you can select Ed's phone and get thru to him directly. I find it better to call them instead of emailing them. Works for me. The best time to call them is early in the morning around 9 am EST. Goes thru faster and there is less phone traffic.

Russianwolf

I gotta agree with Ed on this one. I purposely bought the Lotus drill bit for the cap even though I was making a Statesman. I knew I could enlarge the hole to fit the Statesman and use the bit for all those kits.

Top Bottom