well I'm hooked!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonyloam

I have been turning turkey calls and shaving brushes for a while and had a bunch of small pieces laying around so thought I might try some pens. Ordered a dozen designer kits (might as well jump in with both feet :wink:), and a bunch of assorted tools and got to it. Screwed up the first pretty badly (would have sworn that said 3/16, not 13/16 :rolleyes:), anyway got the hang of it I think and now am hooked. Out to the firewood pile for more material:biggrin:. So here are some of the results:

attachment.php

From left to right, couple of spalted maple, cherry, walnut, maple crotch, not sure what it is but it is purdy, and being a farmer had a couple of corncobs laying around so tried one. My wife snagged a nice curly maple one and my niece got one of the no-name wood ones. Total cost for blanks 0$ and that is priceless LOL. Guess we know what everybody (that doesn't shave or hunt) is getting for Christmas. This looks like a great place to hang around. be seein ya.

Terry

Attachments

• 101_0452.jpg
    101_0452.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 309
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonyloam

The finish is CA. I sand to 400 grit, a few coats of CA (at 500 rpm) then resand with 600 grit till everything is dull and smooth then 4 or 5 coats of thin (ran out of medium), accelerator between coats, then micromesh cloth 1500-12000 at high speed (repeat as many times as necessary). Sometimes will finish with jewelers rouge on a paper towel, but have to be sure the surface is perfectly smooth or it will get stuck in any voids. seems to work pretty well for me.

BSea

Those are really nice. You are definitely hooked. Welcome to the club. If you want to try something different, do a custom centerband from a contrasting wood, or make a wooden finial. Let your imagination run wild.

I think my favorite is the "Not sure but it is purdy" one.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom