Well I finally got brave enough....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregD

To try a corn cob pen. I was almost done when the tube broke away from
the cob. I'll try again tomorrow when I have more time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Plug one end of the tube with wax or potato (depending on which state you live in or what you have on had.)
Thick glue works the best I have found,but cob selecton is important.
It has been my observation that larger cobs have a bigger core which I refer to as the pith.
The pith is waxy and the glue may not adhere to it well.
I mentioned in another thread it's best to have the core of the cob about the same diameter or smaller than the tube.
I made my first corn cob pen on my first try.
It took 5 or six to get the second.
I gave the first pen to the guy who gave me a Wal Mrt bag full of 3 year old dried out corn cobs.

Gary

Man, ain't that an awful feeling! It only happens to me on the $6.00 blanks.[xx(]

Originally posted by GregD
<br />To try a corn cob pen. I was almost done when the tube broke away from

G

<br />To try a corn cob pen. I was almost done when the tube broke away from
I meant to add,after you plug the tube with whatever you choose,put a little glue in the end you are going to insert the tube from and point it down on an angle and sort of revolve it to get the glue around the inside of the tube.ALso put some glue on the tube itself and twist as you insert it,
You Will be pushing glue out the other end and have a build-up on the end you are pushing from.
You should get better glue coverage doing it this way,
Another thing is not to be afraid to stabilize with thin glue as you turn it and your tools must be sharp.
Discretion is the better part of valor,don't hesitate to stop and use the 80 grit gouge when you get close to your finished dimension.[:D]
That which you are experiencing is why I started stabilizing my corn cob blanks,I made a number of them before I decided that I was using a lot of glue in the attempts.

GregD

Try,try,again. That's my motto. I'll post some pics when I can. I don't have a digital camera and my scanner CRASHED. My daughter was dusting and decided to move the scanner. Next thing I heard was crash.

Rick Prevett

0 for 1. Blew the cob of the tube last night. But that's okay, because I had turned off most of the 'kernel pods' anyway. I was down to the waxy core. Not what I was going for.

rick
/Still lookin for the right cob.

PenPauli

My first corn cob pen came out nice, it seemed pretty easy
however my second two didn't work at all. Just a note,
make sure you slide the tube in the cob pretty quickly
because the tube bonds to the cobb almost immediately.

randall844

<br />Try,try,again. That's my motto. I'll post some pics when I can. I don't have a digital camera and my scanner CRASHED. My daughter was dusting and decided to move the scanner. Next thing I heard was crash.

Are you saying you can take pen pix with your scanner?

woodscavenger

You blew out a cobb? I blew out a curly Koa today on the last cut. I should always remember the make my second to last cut my last cut! Good luck with the vegatables!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom