Weldbond glue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

esheffield

I was looking around over at the Sloan's Woodshop for some bandsaw blades and they carry a glue called "Weldbond." They say it used to be available at Home Depot but they dropped it. Anybody around here ever use it? From the description it sounds like it might be good for use in penmaking. Claims to adhere almost anything (wood, metal, plastic, glass, etc.) Dries "crystal clear". Flexible, waterproof, non-staining. Sounds like it has many of the properties of poly without the staining and (I would expect) foaming and pushing out of tubes. I may get a bottle and give it a try - not too expensive either ($5.95 for 8oz).

Edit: Oops! Should give the URL! Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

Sloan's: http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/web_specials.htm
Weldbond home: http://www.weldbondusa.com/

KenV

I have used it for sealing (sizing) substrate for veneering and gluing venneer to the substrate successfully. It does glue wood successfully also. It will glue metals to wood. It tends to leave a thick glue line for wood to wood, but that may be related to clamping pressure used.

It clogs sandpaper worse than CA in my experience.

jwoodwright

The "foaming" of the poly is what fills in the voids and actually makes a stronger bond.

As Russ Fairfield noted, the use of a 9/32 bit for 7mm pens and poly glue.

Pushouts happen when there isn't space for the glue to expand...

I've used weldbond on a Corian Glue-up, worked great, haven't tried on a tube....

GBusardo

The "foaming" of poly does fill voids, but I believe I read in "WOOD" where the foam does not have all that strong of a bond. I wonder really how much of a bond you need to glue a tube to a blank anyways. I use medium CA and have hever had a blank spin off a tube on me. Besides, poly is so dang messy. Just my two cents.
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom