Web Inventory Application - TECHNICAL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

webmonk

Hi guys,

I'm starting a thread for the discussion of the technical aspects of the inventory system to better separate out the conversations. Here's the latest suggestion:
How about adding size column on the blanks? knowing it will help a lot what kit you can use.

3 tier group should be sufficient like slimline (less than 3/4"), regular (3/4" - 13/16"), Jumbo (7/8" and bigger)
Dario
San Antonio, TX USA

"Innovate or Stagnate"

www.AOTurnings.com
Fine Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Definitely. I want to do that plus store the minimum sizes needed in a pen kit so that later we can show a list of blanks in stock that would work with a certain kit. For instance, I like turning the Panache pens, but they require a blank that's nearly 1" square. It would be nice to get a quick list of which blanks would work for me.

I'm going to work on this once the basics are satisfactory.

Jon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

webmonk

GREAT!!!

BTW, got this

Software error:
Unable to insert new pen with: INSERT INTO pens
SET
kitname='Jr Gent II',
finish='Titanium',
tip=NULL,
material='wood',
materialtype='Amboyna',
userid='4'
at inv.pl line 433.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@centralridge.net), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
Dario
San Antonio, TX USA

"Innovate or Stagnate"

www.AOTurnings.com
Fine Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Should be fixed.

Jon

tcastel

Just started poking around a bit but unable to add to kits or pens at the moment (suspect your working on things). Question..would it be helpful to be able to associate vendor part numbers when entering info for kits and other items? How about the abltiy to set min/max levels on inventory and be able to generate reorder lists based on those level settings that would list possily: Item description vendor part # and last know cost. Would certainly save time when placing orders I would think.

kf4knf

Had the same issue trying to add kit types. Ex- Blue Statin. You mentioned coming up with another catagory beside "type" - why not use model or style instead. These seem a bit more discriptive. Just an idea. Keep up the great work!

webmonk

Fixed the problem with not being able to add kits.

I like the ideas of info for the reorder report. I definitely want to do that. I'm still scratching my head on how best to track costs, but that's down the road...

Great idea calling it either model or style. I like those a lot more than type. Anyone have suggestions on which one of those terms is the most correct?

Thanks for the help!
Jon

webmonk

So for example, this basic pen (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-4401) would be a "Slimline Twist" style but have a vendor# of 050-4401. Does that seem correct?

Thinking ahead... I wonder how useful it would be to be able to match up the vendor numbers of parity products (PSI's slimline vs. some other slimline) so that when it's time to reorder the software could show you who has the best deal going at the moment? I know I have favored vendors I try to buy everything from, but if it meant saving $100.00 on my order I'd certainly consider trying something new. Hmm...

Jon

tcastel

poked around a bit this morning. added kits no prob...added blanks no prob tried to add completed pen and got this
Software error:
Unable to insert new pen with: INSERT INTO pens
SET
inventorynumber='06-01',
penname='cocobolo1',
kitname='Emperor',
kitsupplier=NULL,
kitsupplierpartnum=NULL,
finish='24KT Gold',
type='Ball Point',
materialname='Purpleheart',
materialtype='Wood',
userid='9'
at inv.pl line 597.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster@centralridge.net), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
interest that even though I used a kit for which I had entered a supplier and supplier part # both fields show as being null.
will play some more
7/19 7:30am

tcastel

Question ...When you try to create a new pen you can only select kits or blanks that have a currently stocking status. Isn't this going to make setting up initial inventory levels a little difficult? It appears you'd have to set kit levels and blank levels to include completed pens then create pens which automatically changes stock level. Maybe a seperate entry mode for initial inventory of complete pens that doesn't affect inventory levels would make sense?

webmonk

Hmm... That makes sense. I was thinking about how I was going to add in my already produced pens this morning actually. With pens tracking elements that are kept with kits and materials (like suppliers and part numbers) we're stuck with the problem of either having a form where you can fill all those as you're adding the pen (probably the best option) or just not worry about all the extras and accept the idea that advanced features may not work for those items.

Let me know if you feel differently, but I think the best idea for now is to have the big form for entering finished products directly.

Thanks!

tcastel

yes it is a bit of a hassle to cover all bases and this one can be beat up later with some others input. I'm just thinking if someones got 100 completed pens or (certainly not me BTW, I'm only up to 18)they might want to get them entered without worrying about vendor and part# because they may not have that info anyway. (and if their old an feeble-minded like me they won't remeber WHEN they made them never mind what they made them with)

tcastel

Entered my inventory this morning and everything worked fine Jon. Very nicely done in a short period of time. Let you know if I find anything else. ....Just one question...Can you add a delete function to the the completed pens inventory?

webmonk

Will do. I'm actually going to make it an edit/delete page so people can tweak their products. I'll try to sneak that in at work today. Shh! ;)

turff49

Jon,
I can't believe how quick you've put this tyogether. If you work like this at your job you must be a real assett to them. I'd like to thank you for all the work you've put into this for everyone. Your generosity is unprecedented and I know when I say "thank you" that to you that would be enough. But, can you post your mailing address? I'm sure there are a few of us that would like to donate a little something, be it a pen kit, a couple of blanks, or whatever to the WEBMONK.
Brian

webmonk

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the kind words! You've made my morning.

I'm reluctant to give out my mailing address because we're closing on our new house next week and will be moving soon so I'd be giving out the wrong address. For now, my reward will be watching people use the system (and telling me how to make it even better.) ;)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Jon,
Looks like a great site. Thanks to you and everyone else that worked so hard and fast in developing it. Here a few rambling thoughts on the site.
I know it started out as a way to track pen kits, however many of us also make letter openers, key rings, magnifying glasses etc. It would be great if these could be added. On another point, many of us make bullet casing pens which can be made from several different kits. Not sure what the bast way to track these would be.

webmonk

I've had the same thoughts. In addition to pens I've gotten into turning the corkscrew/bottle stopper kits and bowls. I don't have a big inventory yet, but once I do, I'll want to be able to keep up with those as well.

I guess the first place to start is with the question of "What would need to be different?". I think the blanks would be fine as they are, no? The kits would be different, but mostly just in kit name. You'd still want to know the finish, supplier, etc. I can see where there would be unique attributes (perhaps storage size for the USB flash drives) but I don't think there would be too much involved in making this addition.

I'm going to put this on the to-do list and plan to implement it right after we start tracking bushings. Do you think it's necessary to break down all the various kit types into their own sections (keyrings, openers, etc.) or would it be enough to have Pens and Everything Else?

Thanks!

mick

Jon, The Penventory is great! I was poking around this morning and trying out a few things. I noticed one small thing. Under finishes we need to add Sterling Silver. I was listing some Baron pens and saw it wasn't listed as an option...otherwise it's fantastic so far!
Mike

webmonk

Hi Mike!

Glad you like it!

It should be possible to click the (add to list) link next to any attribute selection list to add anything that may be missing. It's also quite possible that I missed a spot too! So if you find somewhere you are unable to add attributes, please let me know and I'll fix it!

Thanks for testing!

mick

Jon, now I feel stupid! I didn't even notice the and to feature.. I'm gonna blame it on lack of sleep last night [:D]

wood-of-1kind

Jon,

my 'greedy' side needs to know if your program will be shareware once you go beyond the beta stage? Appreciate all the hard work that has gone into your program.

-Peter-[:)]

webmonk

Nope. It's gonna be FreeWare! ;)

That is assuming that I can write it and keep the costs low (atleast close to what it would cost me to run it anyway). Otherwise it may become DonationWare where I would set up a paypal link so you could donate a couple of bucks a month to cover the cost of your storage and bandwidth usage though that will only be necessary if/when we start storing pictures on the server. Moving text data around is virtually free and so far that's all we're doing.

So I guess that was the long way of saying that I have no intention of trying to sell this program or charge fees to use it. Enjoy!

mrcook4570

Jon

Thank you for all of your efforts.

If I make changes (such as add or remove a particular pen kit from the drop down menus) will that be a global change (affecting everyone's list) or will it only affect the list for my user name. The reason I ask is that there are several kits and platings that I do not make, nor do I intend to make, but I don't want to remove them from the list unless I know for sure that it would only affect my own list and not everyone's.

webmonk

Currently, that will affect everyone's list, however, I've built-in the ability to limit your lists to only what you've added and not have to see other people's. That feature won't be active until I've completed the "user options" section, but rest assured it's coming!

As far as removing items, when you use the Remove Attributes link you should find that you can only see and remove items that you have added. If you remove something you've added, it will vanish from everyone else's list but only until someone else who needed it adds it back so it works out in the end.

Hope that answers the question!

Pipes

I have inventory control LOL I just start looking thru my boxes and blanks :O) ! I would not even know were to start doing it on a PC way way over my head ! And I spend 10 HRs a day most days in my shop ...f it wasn't for my wife we would not even have a web site and she runs the business :O) I am just the labor here !!! [:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom