wearing off the plating AND the enamel finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darcisowers

So I make my dad a circuit board pen. He LOVES it, and uses it ALL THE TIME. Which makes me happy, because I didn't make it for him to store it in a box. But he's wearing out the plating often (this is the second kit, which I *thought* I put a platinum kit on it the second time....but I really don't recall).

This time he wore out the enamel too.

003_resized.jpg

I "messed up" when I turned it, so it fits a wall street 2 (not the supplied wall street 3 kit) - so I can probably use any of the sierra kits on it, right? What is the most durable plating? this is the ONLY pen I've made that is showing any kind of wear - even my own pens, which are used often (but I guess rotated thru often enough?) aren't showing wear.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

This is why I only use certain plating options, many of them will 'rub off' like this one. Does not take that much time or effort either. The gold plating, satin, the enamel etc they go fast. Some of the more durable ones are black titanium and the good quality rhodium.

Another factor which many pen makers, most users, never considers is the blank material and the working environment the pen will be under. Think of it this way, if the plating is getting that much wear then what is the blank getting? Simple fact is most of the materials does not hold up that well under heavy wear and/or usage.

darcisowers

Thanks Ed & Cindy. I may even have a black Ti kit around here somewhere! :biggrin:

I did check the blank, and other than a couple minor scratches, it's looking really good. I may "refinish" it too, since the pen has to be taken apart anyway!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks Ed & Cindy. I may even have a black Ti kit around here somewhere! :biggrin:

I did check the blank, and other than a couple minor scratches, it's looking really good. I may "refinish" it too, since the pen has to be taken apart anyway!
Black Titanium Nitride is good but Very hard to find. Black Chrome wears well also so Chrome/Black Chrome is a relatively good combination for wear resistance. Black TI and Rhodium will wear well.

I think that Platinum is a very "loose" term in pen plating and many Platinum Kits will not contain either Platinum or Rhodium at all.

What my own supplier calls Platinum is actually 14K White Gold made with Palladium, so I'd be sure to check with the vendor about Platinum finish before I bought it.

Top Bottom