Wear on Live & Dead centres?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

Have probably used my live centre 50 times with a mandrel and 10 times mandrel-less and it seems to be wearing quickly on the tip where it meets the mandrel. Also getting wear marks from the tubes when turning mandrel-less.

Is this normal? Its just a standard 60deg live center, no carbide tip etc. The same is also starting to happen to my dead-centre but obviously only from the brass tubes not on the tip?

If this is normal, whats the normal time a centre will last before needing replacement. Before the mandrel becomes sloppy fitting at the tip?

Cheers, PHIL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Phil, most live and dead centers are hardened, they shouldn't wear noticeably, I've spun things on my dead center on a BIG lathe, and just gotten minor scratches, there is no way you should see any wear from contact with a brass tube, I've made mandreless bushings for most every thing I turn, and one more thing, your live center is turning at the same speed as the spindle, so it really can't wear, I have put a few dings in centers over the years, but only with lathe tools, (mostly carbide), are you sure the wear is into the metal and not just through some CA or something on the center it's self ?

jttheclockman

The only way it will wear is if it is spinning either in your tubes or in the mandrel. If they are locked down they should not spin. ( not talking about the bearing part, talking about the points ) Maybe the bearing in your live center is going bad.

JimB

I'm not an expert on these but it sounds like your centers may be made of "soft" metal rather than "hard" metal. I know mine are soft but they haven't worn like yours (yet) but I haven't used them to much either. I think I only paid $12 for my live center and I think a good one would have been more in the $25 - $30 range.

If you tell folks here more about your centers such as make and cost they can probably tell you if they are soft or hard metal.

philb

Ill try and get a picture up of the Live center, as it wasnt too cheap! Probably the equilivant of about $25 over your way!

The make was Record Power, but I think these maybe just a UK company. The only thing Ive noticed with the live centre, is that sometimes it seems to stop spinning when the mandrel is spinning. I know that the live and mandrel should effectively turn at the same speed. Maybe im not doing up the tailstock with enough pressure into the mandrel, although I dont want to do it too tight!

Picture to follow! Cheers Lads!

PHIL

GaryMadore

The live center that came with my pen lathe (General "Maxi") is junk and shows marked wear where it seats in the (drill rod) mandrels I use. So, yep, it can happen for sure.

I am going to invest in a good hardened set before I give mandrel-less turning a try.

Cheers!

Gary

THarvey

Ill try and get a picture up of the Live center, as it wasnt too cheap! Probably the equilivant of about $25 over your way!

The make was Record Power, but I think these maybe just a UK company. The only thing Ive noticed with the live centre, is that sometimes it seems to stop spinning when the mandrel is spinning. I know that the live and mandrel should effectively turn at the same speed. Maybe im not doing up the tailstock with enough pressure into the mandrel, although I dont want to do it too tight!

Picture to follow! Cheers Lads!

PHIL

My first thought on your earlier post was that your centers were not alligned.

This post seems to say that your bearings in the live center might be a problem. Either that or the live center is not "locked" into the mandrel. If the mandrel is spinning at a different rate than your live center, it will wear (probably both the mandrel and the live center point). You will see it more on the tip of the live center, since it is an exterier surface.

One other thought: Is your mandrel bent? This could also cause some problems.

Pictures will help.

philb

This is the damage!

The centers are aligned and I make sure they are lined up before each pen. Also the mandrel seems to be straight, as I don't have much of any issues with out-of-round pens. Not to do with the mandrel, more cutting to fiercely!

1_livecentredamagenet.jpg

Possibly its the mandrel that is damaged, and therefore damaging the centre? I only say this because I was using a non-60degree centre before I bought this centre! Before I realized that the OEM live centre wasn't 60degree?

Cheers PHIL

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
I have the same problem.. without knowing the difference at the time, I used my stock dead center on my mandrel.. my dead center looks like it was made out of plastic not steel.. end tip of it came off in the center of the mandrel rod..:eek: But soon as the funds come available, I will pick up a good dead center and replace the mandrel rod.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I was wearing rings in my centers until I bought a set from JohnnyCNC. I have been using them daily and they aren't showing any wear at all.

leehljp

Member Liaison
It is easy to see that the LC does not have a hardened tip. Check for hardened tips or carbide tips. Johnnycnc sells hardened ones.

Last edited:

Fred

I would say this is spin wear. This happens when the live center does not turn as fast as the lathe is turning. It can happen when the bearing in the live center gets dirty, worn, etc. and thus causes the live center to turn slower.

Get rid of the cheap stuff and buy one that is hardened and will last forever as long as you take care of it properly. Yes, they do require some attendig to ever so often!

Follow Hank and Neil suggestion and order one from Johnnycnc. Floks here that use his stuff have repordedly been very satisfied. Good luck!

Rifleman1776

Centers provided with, or sold for woodturning lathes are (generally) not made from hardened steel. They are lower cost soft steel and, as you learned, fail quickly. What you are experiencing is not unusual.
I now buy my centers from machine tool sources. Actually, for me, I just walk to the other side of the big Grizzly store in Springfield, MO.
Good quality, hardened steel, centers cost a bit more but not enough to break the bank. But, they do last, and last, and last and......

Darrin

One last thing to consider, I had a similar problem when I was a newer turner(not that im really advanced now ;) ) but I found it was a combo of using a poor quality metal center AND using dull tools. When they are dull, you tend to push them into the wood and that results in wear as well to the live center. Not saying this was true for you, but something for others to think about.

Top Bottom