Wear

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joseph10s

Has anyone else noticed wear on the the black pieces of a baron kit? By wear I mean the black parts obviously showing the brass underneath. I have been carrying this pen around for less than three months. I keep it in a velvet pouch in my pant pocket. The wear is most obvious on the center band ring but also appears on the threads on both finial and "nib". The chrome shows no wear.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

This is a common problem with the Baron. I see it all the time on my own as well as customer's pens. The problem is that the threads are made from brass and only coated by a paint. Overtime, the paint wears off, depending on usage, this can happen within a few months. A good friend of mine has one of my Titanium Barons and uses it daily a lot, and there is pretty much no black left at all. All you can do is to replace these parts, or leave it as it is.

Randy_

I haven't done a Baron; but I see the same thing on my cigar pens.

A lot of people get upset because many pen collectors turn their noses up at kit pens. This is one reason why.

Jarheaded

Is it posible to strip the paint off and powder coat the problem parts? It seems that PC is tougher than any paints and should wear a lot better. If there is enough interest in it, I will pickup the equipment and start doing it for anyone that wants it. I was thinking about doing it for tubes anyways.

pssherman

Originally posted by SuperDave

The issue with PC is the thickness of the coating. It will most likely be too thick to allow the threads (male to female) to function properly.

Anodizing might be a thought...
Aluminum can be anodized but I don't think that brass can be.

DocStram

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Just as an aside, carrying a pen in your pants pocket is not giving it the proper care it deserves, IMHO.

I agree. Besides . . . it keeps woman from thinking,

"Is that a pen in your pocket or are you glad to see me?" Sorry, couldn't resist.

Umm Cav? Now that you dropped your hilarious signature line . . . I can honestly say that I do get mad when people call me a moron.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by DocStram

Just as an aside, carrying a pen in your pants pocket is not giving it the proper care it deserves, IMHO.

"Is that a pen in your pocket or are you glad to see me?" Sorry, couldn't resist.

Umm Cav? Now that you dropped your hilarious signature line . . . I can honestly say that I do get mad when people call me a moron.

Al, after my Marilyn Monroe post I just haven't gotten around to making another signature. Stay tuned, I'll have another obnoxious one soon.

BTW, if women make that mistake with a Baron in your pocket, you have my sincere sympathy!!!! :D[}:)];)

Firefyter-emt

If we plan to keep a pen in our pocket to impress out women-folk, I am gonna have to make them pen mills bigger in diameter! [}:)]

Randy_

When Al's post came through on my email notification, all I saw was the following:

Originally posted by DocStram

I agree. Besides . . . it keeps woman from thinking....
I thought that was one of the most useful tips Al had ever posted here!!!:D

Now I find out there was more to the comment.......bummer.:(

DSA: Don't reply to this post. This is a family forum!!;)

10280007.gif
20056145259_eaglemed.jpg

Dallas, TX................................In Their Memory

Top Bottom