Wdcrft Classic Am bushings - What's the extra piece for???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chugbug

Hi folks,

Maybe someone can answer a perplexing question for me. I purchased some Classic American Click pen kits (#146599) that were on sale at Woodcraft. Not having made them before, I also ordered the bushing kit (#146600).

The bushings have an extra sleeve of some kind in the set. I thought maybe it was a pen mill sleeve for trimming the tubes after the bushing were glued in place , but it's not. Then I thought it was just an extra piece of stock put in the bag by mistake, but when I went back and looked at the bushings on the website, it shows that extra piece (http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/146600_230.jpg).

The I.D. of the sleeve is the same as the O.D. of the larger brass tube.

Anyone turn these or know what it's for? I guess I'll feel really stupid if it's something obvious.

Thanks...Chugbug.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is made to slide over the upper barrel, after you have cut the tenon (well, stripped to the brass) for the centerband. The "extra piece" slides over the brass on the lathe so you can match your OD to that piece and the centerband will be flush with the material in the "cap"

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi folks,

Maybe someone can answer a perplexing question for me. I purchased some Classic American Click pen kits (#146599) that were on sale at Woodcraft. Not having made them before, I also ordered the bushing kit (#146600).

The bushings have an extra sleeve of some kind in the set. I thought maybe it was a pen mill sleeve for trimming the tubes after the bushing were glued in place , but it's not. Then I thought it was just an extra piece of stock put in the bag by mistake, but when I went back and looked at the bushings on the website, it shows that extra piece (http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/146600_230.jpg).

The I.D. of the sleeve is the same as the O.D. of the larger brass tube.

Anyone turn these or know what it's for? I guess I'll feel really stupid if it's something obvious.

Thanks...Chugbug.
My guess is that it is a sizing sleeve for turning a tenon..used in place of using a band.

FYI, The woodcraft classic american is a different size than the CSUSA one. Woodcraft uses a 3\8 tube and CSUSA uses a 10mm tube. Don't ask how I found that one out.

chugbug

OK - got it...

Figured it was something I should have known. I went through the instruction sheet, but it made no mention of using an additional bushing, just about marking and turning off a section on the upper (larger) blank.

FYI, The woodcraft classic american is a different size than the CSUSA one. Woodcraft uses a 3\8 tube and CSUSA uses a 10mm tube. Don't ask how I found that one out.

The Woodcraft kit stated it uses an "O" tube for the bottom and an 11mm tube for the bottom. However my 11mm test hole was way too sloppy, so I used a 10.5mm bit.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom