Which way to orient Jr. Gent II blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

When making a pen such as the Jr. Gent II, and using blanks that look best when oriented in the same direction, should this orientation occur when the pen is closed or posted?

I would think the answer most would give is when closed, but I'm still fairly new at this and most of the Gents I've made were multi-colored acrylics where the orientation rally didn't matter.

Just for reference, I'm not using a wood blank with grain pattern to match up, but one of Brucee119's Benjamin blank sets where Ben's face on the lower blank and Independence Hall on the upper blank look best when oriented in the same direction.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

closed for sure. And for a fountain pen, screw the section in to the coupler ring and make sure that the face and the top of the nib align too. The internal threads are single start, so THAT PARTICULAR section will always face that way. Each section is different however. Press in the coupler and trim ring on the nib end, then thread on the cap centerband assy, and align the cap blank with the lower blank. Remove the cap and press centerband into place. Then thread the posting end coupler into the cap JUST FAR ENOUGH for the trim ring to touch the inner surface of the centerband and align the cap blank with the body again. This one is a little tricky, as there is no way to preset how far the coupler will press into the body exactly, but if you keep the trim ring tight to the bottom of the threads and thread it in until it JUST touches, you will be close. Press the coupler into the base of the body by hand just enough to unscrew the coupler from the centerband, and press the rest of the way in. Last thing is to decide where you want the clip. Usual practice is to have it align with the nib when posted, but that puts it right in the middle of your picture, so you may want to move it 60 degrees to one side. You don't want it directly opposite the picture, as this will have it scratching the writers hand. I know, it seems nit picky, but those are things a buyer of high end pens notices.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

bruce119

I agree with the others closed. That is when the pen is showed off. Same thing on like a slimline I line up the grain when the pen is retracted that is how you carry it and show it off.

That's my thoughts any pen the way it comes out of your pocket is the way you show it and that way I orient it.

Be sure to show a photo when finished

Thanks
Bruce

AlanZ

Closed. Let's also assume a style there the cap is not postable... so closed becomes the only option, and is a good indicator for a default pen presentation.

Bobalu

Thanks, guys. Closed it is. Attached a couple of photos to show how it turned out.

Attachments

• P9040155.JPG
    P9040155.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 140
  • P9040156.JPG
    P9040156.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 127
  • P9040164.JPG
    P9040164.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 125
Top Bottom