Waxs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhbeauford

I use them both on items that don't receive a lot of handling. Like bottle stoppers, lamp pulls, spheres, small lidded boxes, etc. I have used them on wooden pens also, I don't think the Shellawax is quite as durable as CA. After sanding I polish with EEE, then apply 2-3 coats of Shellawax.

Mike 53

Thanks martin I know the CA is the way to go, I was just asking if good as just a wax finish, Havent tryed the C A glue yet but going to soon thanks again.

Mike

monophoto

I've made a DIY version of Shellawax from components that I bought at the local hardware store. Used ordinary paste wax, added a little shellac, stir to mix, and then shake vigorously before using. Proportions aren't critical - I prefer that the mix be move viscous - a bit thinner than the original paste wax, but not so thin that it can be poured.

For polishing, I've been using Dr. Kirk's Scratch Freee - which is wax and EEE.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Waxes - EEE Wax, Shellawax and other waxes - and CA (along with other hard finishes such as lacquer, polys, acrylic finishes) are totally different and each category has different purposes.

One is not better than the other in and of itself, it depends on what the purpose and desired outcome one wants.

Waxes are temporary and are not for long term protection. Fine furniture needs polishing on a regular or consistent basis as the waxes evaporate. The protection it offers is temporary. If applied regularly, it works. Same for pens, except that pens are handled far more than fine furniture, are put in humid pockets, or hot cars in the summer, or handled with caustic sweat from hands, or exposed to changing elements far more than fine furniture.

IF this is understood and allowed for, Waxes will work and Waxes allow for the luster of the wood itself to present itself.

On the other hand, CA, Lacquers, polys, Acrylics and others put up a much better long term barrier to those elements mentioned above. And a deep shine on the finish is desired by more people than the flater finish of waxes.

It is a personal choice. Both hard finishes and waxes have their positive and negative characteristics. In watching this forum for several years, the vast majority of pen BUYERS prefer Shiny over flat. Still there are those who feel that wood should be presented in its natural state with wax finishes.

One thing I personally don't like about EEE is that it will produce a very nice shine that will wear off in a few hours to a few days. I learned early on that it hurt my reputation to to hand a shiny waxed pen only to see spots of shiny and dull appear, and then it lost all of its bright "shine". This was a negative in the people's mind and it had a bearing on their opinion of me as being able to make a good finish. It would have been better had I just rubbed and rubbed until the bright "shine" of the wax was gone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom