Waxing your bushings...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I asked this question under the thread about bushings and tolerances, but if it was answered I'm sorry, I must have missed it. But I have been wondering, ever since reading about people waxing their bushings so as to avoid sanding the bushings, especially when you have light colored blanks. I don't understand how that's done such that you aren't dragging even a small amount of wax onto your blanks, but maybe that's OK? I don't think I'll ever be able to be precise enough that the sandpaper absolutely doesn't touch the bushing at all, and the wax sounds like a good idea, but I just don't see how exactly it works.

I think it was on here that someone talked about putting masking tape over the bushings when they got ready to sand and I did use that trick a few times and it seemes to work. Although I did have some problems with the tape wanting to start to peel off- not a problem as far as the actual sanding, but a nuisance. And I did learn that using blue masking tape isn't such a great idea- more attractive on the bushings, but not so good for not dragging color over.

If someone could explain this process, or maybe even be so kind as to post a picture of what it looks like wet up, I'd sure appreciate it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I think the idea of waxing the bushihgs is to keep CA glue from gluing the bushings and pen blanks together when using CA for a pen finish. I use Renissance Wax for this since I have some on hand. I suppose any kind of wax would work to keep the glue from sticking. I don't think the wax is to help keep the metal parts from sanding off of the lighter woods. I may have misunderstood also. Hope this clears up dome of the confustion for you.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by angboy
<br />I asked this question under the thread about bushings and tolerances, but if it was answered I'm sorry, I must have missed it. But I have been wondering, ever since reading about people waxing their bushings so as to avoid sanding the bushings, especially when you have light colored blanks. I don't understand how that's done such that you aren't dragging even a small amount of wax onto your blanks, but maybe that's OK? I don't think I'll ever be able to be precise enough that the sandpaper absolutely doesn't touch the bushing at all, and the wax sounds like a good idea, but I just don't see how exactly it works.

I think it was on here that someone talked about putting masking tape over the bushings when they got ready to sand and I did use that trick a few times and it seemes to work. Although I did have some problems with the tape wanting to start to peel off- not a problem as far as the actual sanding, but a nuisance. And I did learn that using blue masking tape isn't such a great idea- more attractive on the bushings, but not so good for not dragging color over.

If someone could explain this process, or maybe even be so kind as to post a picture of what it looks like wet up, I'd sure appreciate it!

Dario

I wax my bushings so the blanks won't stick to it...so the critical part is the vertical part where they meet...not the exposed part that you may sand.

If you want to protect your wood from getting smudged by steel dust...it is better to just coat it a bit with CA than tape or wax. Build it a bit with CA then sand it smooth. Note that this may increase yor bushing diameter a bit so it is best that you use old worn bushing if you have any.

Hope this helps.

woodmarc

Delrin? Is this the same as uhmw plastic?
And how can I get some?

I tried to use CA as a finsh, and I not only ruined the blank, I lost the bushing when I finally did get the two apart. [B)]

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by woodmarc
<br />Delrin? Is this the same as uhmw plastic?

No, delrin & UHMW are different. Delrin is much harder than UHMW. Both are similar in that CA will not adhere to them. I have plenty of UHMW in 3/4" x 3/4" lenghts if you care to swap for blanks.

-Peter-[:)]

Fangar

Delrin Rod. I have a TAP PLASTICS about 10 minutes from me. They are great. I can buy it in the store at any lengths. It only comes in 8' on the website:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=158&

Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom