Wax on blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I disagree about taking wax off. Scrap or burn wax off sides but leave ends sealed. The other option you have is cut, dill, glue up, turn and finish.

Blanks completely sealed in wax will not gain or lose moisture. It is better to have a blank crack or spilt before you drill, glue and try to turn. Or have it crack/split later.

Best way to check moisture content of blanks is weigh them with an inexpensive postal or kitchen scale. Weigh them after you scrap wax off sides and let the hang out for couple weeks or months. When blank has reached EMC you will notice it has stopped losing weight. You want your blanks to reach EMC before you turn them.

Jim Burr

Banned
Being on the stupid side....I just turn it off. Knowing the history of the blanks is up to you. If you buy a 10 year old blank that's waxed...there may be some issues. If it was cut 3 days ago and you're told it's dry....well, do your due diligence.

carlmorrell

No comment about what is appropriate for your situation.

Several years ago, I was making a piece of furniture, really curly cherry. I finished it with Briwax and decided it was not popping enough. I was able to remove all the wax with mineral spirits and a rag. Then proceeded to finish with a water based poly.

YMMV

Top Bottom