Waterslides + Inkjet?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

Just curious if anybody has had good success making waterslides with an inkjet printer. If so, could you post a picture here? Or do I really need to use a laser printer?

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

I've done several and finally found a combination that worked well for me. I used Testor's Decal Paper (Hobby Lobby) and an Epson Inkjet printer. I had problems until I used the Testor's Decal Bonder. I sprayed 2 coats and hit each coat for about 2-3 minutes with my good old Ryobi heat gun set to medium - low temps.

After transferring the cured decal to the pen blank, I used a very tiny amount of thin CA to seal the edges, then I finished the wood with General Finishes Woodturners Finish. Came out great. I haven't done any acrylics or polyurethanes yet with that method, so I can't comment on that.

I also learned that inkjet printers can't print white!

walshjp17

Like Dick M, I use the Testors Decal Binder. It really is necessary when using an ink jet. After printing onto clear decal paper and fixing the decal with the binder, I cut it out, soaked it in warm water and put it on my pen (already had two coats of CA finish on the pen) and squeezed all the water out. I let it sit overnight then added four more coats of CA (Med) finish.

Photo shows custom logo on Holly. Picture take with iPhone. Apologies for the quality (got my tent after this was made, photographed and delivered).

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 282

Dick Mahany

Decalpaper.com. Is where I I get my sheets from. Saves a lot of money over testors paper. Just remember to get clear for inkjet

Thanks for the info. Their site recommends Krylon acrylic spray. Do you know how it compares to the Testors bonder as it is most likely also less expensive?

Pjohnson

I just received my order from them and picked up some krylon. Working the colors of my blanks and decals. I will post an update as I progress.

toyotaman

Any printer will work as long as you use Testors Decal Bonder. It's a small spray can found at Hobby Lobby in the model car section. After printing your logo let it dry a few minutes and spray it with decal bonder. That will protect it from casting. I've done it for years. Works great.

Tim'sTurnings

Those decal pens look great. I just ordered some Clear Decal Paper and a can of Testor's Bonder Spray from Hobby Lobby's online store. I also checked online and found 40% off coupons to use on my order. Very good deal.
Tim.

navycop

I went to Walmart and got some of this stuff. I used it paper from decalpaper.com. And here's a couple decals that I did.

Attachments

• decals 001.jpg
    decals 001.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 164
  • decals 002.jpg
    decals 002.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 154
  • decals 003.jpg
    decals 003.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 171

Mordi

All of these decal pens are getting me in the mood to try my hand at this technique :)

Where is a good place to get images to download?

Thanks,
Mordi

hornet406

Is there a difference in the type of paper used? Could I use regular inkjet decal paper or would I need the wood decal paper? I have just tried the testors decal paper and spray cause I had the kit for my modeling.

larryc

FYI

I ordered 20 sheets of the Inkjet Clear from decalpaper.com and when I received it today I realized that the marking on the back of the sheets was the same as what I had been purchasing at Hobby Lobby.

$10 for 6 half sheets at Hobby Lobby comes out to $3.33 per 8.5 X 11 sheet.
$23.81 (including shipping) for 20 sheets equals $1.19 per 8.5 X 11 sheet.

Quite a savings!

larryc

Update on decal paper

FYI

I ordered 20 sheets of the Inkjet Clear from decalpaper.com and when I received it today I realized that the marking on the back of the sheets was the same as what I had been purchasing at Hobby Lobby.

$10 for 6 half sheets at Hobby Lobby comes out to $3.33 per 8.5 X 11 sheet.
$23.81 (including shipping) for 20 sheets equals $1.19 per 8.5 X 11 sheet.

Quite a savings!

Well it turns out not to be such a savings after all.

I suddenly realized that the decals were coming out of the printer as if they had been bitmapped (all jagged edges).

I thought my printer (Epson Artisan 50) had gone bad.

After scratching my head a few times I went back to Hobby Lobby and got some of their decal paper and they printed out just fine.

Same marking on the back of the paper. Go figure!

I threw the less (read MORE - or worthless) expensive paper away.

Top Bottom