Waterbuffalo Gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonsaibill

I bought two complete waterbuffalo horns today for $5 total. I will be able to get several blanks and lots of accent pieces from it.

How do they turn? Do it need to soak them first? When do I dry them? Are they bad to crack?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Soaking won't affect them. They will soak up about as much water as a piece of glass. If you don't know how old they are, you should probably cut to blank size and let set for several months before turning.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Soaking won't affect them. They will soak up about as much water as a piece of glass. If you don't know how old they are, you should probably cut to blank size and let set for several months before turning.

That's funny,

Everything I've ever read about turning water buffalo horn suggests soaking them in cold water for 12-15 hours before turning.

Ligget

I have turned a lot of bufallo horn and never soaked it before, never had one crack either! Yet![:)]

It also REALLY stinks whilst turning! Be warned! [xx(]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by ligget
<br />I have turned a lot of bufallo horn and never soaked it before, never had one crack either! Yet![:)]

Can't say I've turned a lot but I have turned 6 pens from water buffalo and about a dozen from river buffalo. The first two I turned dry and they stunk so bad I stopped turning it until it was suggested I soak it for 12-15 hours before turning. At least for me, soaking it really cut down on the smell, but to each their own.

You can also soak it in bleach for about a day to turn it a reddish color and if you soak it in bleach for 4-5 days it turns an amber color.

Ligget

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by ligget
<br />I have turned a lot of bufallo horn and never soaked it before, never had one crack either! Yet![:)]

Can't say I've turned a lot but I have turned 6 pens from water buffalo and about a dozen from river buffalo. The first two I turned dry and they stunk so bad I stopped turning it until it was suggested I soak it for 12-15 hours before turning. At least for me, soaking it really cut down on the smell, but to each their own.

You can also soak it in bleach for about a day to turn it a reddish color and if you soak it in bleach for 4-5 days it turns an amber color.

Thanks for the tips Scott, real handy especially the smell one![:D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by RONB
<br />THE SMELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You wont be making many of these.

Another old hunters trick has also been useful to me. Before turning horn I take some Vick's Vapor rub and put a generous amount under and around the nose. Couple this with blanks that are soaked and a good dust mask and your smell problem is quite bearable.

Rifleman1776

<br />
<br />Soaking won't affect them. They will soak up about as much water as a piece of glass. If you don't know how old they are, you should probably cut to blank size and let set for several months before turning.

That's funny,

Everything I've ever read about turning water buffalo horn suggests soaking them in cold water for 12-15 hours before turning.

Having never worked with water buffalo horn, I can't speak from experience. However, I have considerable experience with cow horn. Cow horn is well known for it's water proof characteristics. It is used for powderhorns to keep yer black powder dry. It is used for cups, mugs, tankards, etc. for favorite beverages.
I understand that cows (bovines) and water buffalo are different species. So, maybe, just a 'maybe', the horns are different.

M

Mudder

<br />
<br />

That's funny,

Having never worked with water buffalo horn, I can't speak from experience. However, I have considerable experience with cow horn. Cow horn is well known for it's water proof characteristics. It is used for powderhorns to keep yer black powder dry. It is used for cups, mugs, tankards, etc. for favorite beverages.
I understand that cows (bovines) and water buffalo are different species. So, maybe, just a 'maybe', the horns are different.

Hmmm,

It seems to me that in the first two sentences of your initial reply, you were trying to give the impression that you were experienced. [:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom