Water Buffalo horn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tombigbee

Hello, newbie here. I'm really happy to find this forum.

I am in need of some turning blanks of solid water buffalo horn.

These are not for pens, and the problem is I need a larger size than for a normal pen. These need to be 1 1/4" diameter and 6 1/2" long.
1 1/4" square with the same length would also work.

Does anyone know of a good source for water buffalo horn? I have briefly made inquiries online, but language barrier between India and myself has caused problems. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

The only ones I see from where I get some blanks is 3/4" square by 6" long What are you turning to need 1 1/4" square? Just curious.

jskeen

Try some of the custom knife maker suppliers, Jantz, Texas Knifemakers Supply, or Knife and Gun, they usually carry larger rounds for knife handles, but you may need to call them and have somebody go look and see if they have one that is 6.5 inches long.

James

ldb2000

I don't think you are going to find any in the length and thickness you are looking for , at least not natural . the Horns are tapered and I've never seen any thicker then a little over 1" at the thickest end and they taper and curve making the usable diameter less the 1/2"to 5/8" over a 6" length . There may be an Alternative Horn (resin) in that thickness but even that is usually no thicker then 1" . Check with ED and Dawn at www.exoticblanks.com to see if they make any thicker rods .

Last edited:

Tombigbee

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to reply.

After inquiring at the 3 knifemaker's supply houses above (where I was basically told that they had no knowledge about anything not in their catalog), I finally found Masecraft Supply in CT.

Unlike any place else I searched, they had the 1 1/4 diameter I need shown online, but not the 6 1/4" length. Longest they were listing was 4 1/2".

After saying that he was fairly sure they would have some 6" or longer pieces in their stock, the man who answered their phone offered to hand-pick through boxes of several hundred pieces each to help me out. Nothing like a little customer service.

Thanks again to all of you for the help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom