Watch part blank making - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I doubt many people have tried all the glue, resin, background variations. Most try something and if it works, stop there. If not try something else. Put a drop of medium CA on a sheet of parchment paper, (Usually found in a drawer in the kitchen. Thats the place the cooked food comes out of.) using a fine tipped tweezer, touch the part to the drop and put it on the pen tube. Cast in PR.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Will this glue show when cast or will it disappear do to the resin and is one resin better at this than another??
I have never had it show. Sometimes the glue seeps to the top of the part and even when that happens it has not shown. I have done 2-3 other blanks that I did not like and did not have a problem with CA glue showing there as well.

I have only ever used Carbon Fiber and PR so I can't really answer the other questions.

Since the gears and parts are cheap it is easy to practice without the expensive watch faces. Just use gears to practice so that you don't ruin a watch face. I have some Franck Mueller dials that I want to try but can't bring myself to try them yet. Also have been busy with other things. Some day... :)
brownsfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 34

John , the beauty of Ron`s method is that the entire piece has been drenched in CA . Any squeeze out from under the parts is automatically camouflaged .

Last edited by 1080Wayne; 02-11-2019 at 12:23 PM.
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I have had excellent results gluing carbon fiber to the pen tube and also the watch parts with "Epoxy 330" water clear. I only have experience with Alumilite however the glue completely disappears in that material. I have also used thin CA to glue the parts to the carbon fiber with similar results. I believe the epoxy 330 is used a lot for jewelry making.
Attached Thumbnails
imgp6719.jpg  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I know finding random watch parts is easy, but where do you find the authentic watch faces or parts? I can't imagine a Franck Muller watch face is cheap or easy to come across. I've always wanted a Franck Muller watch and almost bought a knock off once just to have something pretty lol.

Last edited by indytruks138; 02-11-2019 at 12:23 PM.
indytruks138 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 78

I've had glue show with a painted tube, ca, and alumilite. I experimented with 7 or 8 different things.

What works for me, and i only use this now, is Fly Head Cement. Forget the brand, but I can show a pic later. It has a nice application brush and works perfect. It also dries very quickly so you can make a bunch of blanks at one time

Check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/EBWoodworx/
EBorraga is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2019, 12:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytruks138 View Post
I know finding random watch parts is easy, but where do you find the authentic watch faces or parts? I can't imagine a Franck Muller watch face is cheap or easy to come across. I've always wanted a Franck Muller watch and almost bought a knock off once just to have something pretty lol.

Message Harry (Longbeard) on IAP. He may be able to help you, as he does a bunch of those

Check out my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/EBWoodworx/
EBorraga is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Beautiful work. I would love to see if someone can make one with a working face - rewind by shaking.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by socdad View Post
John,
I make a 30 or so a year so I'm no 'expert'. I use thick CA (applied with a toothpick) & cast with Silmar41.
Jeff
Youíre in the right way with your tooth pick

We do have the biggest grasshopper in the world......
Darley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 119

Some of my work,
Good thread was wondering when this would happen
Been doing watch parts Steampunk pens for 7 years now and before ask the first main question ďĒĒ where do you buy the watch parts ďĒ I buy mine from eBay and buy old whole watches that I pull apart myself and use all parts I can use

If some people got they trade secrets , sure some do and I do .

For casting I use PR and work well have no problem with CA to show on tubes and parts , will use in the coming weeks some Royal Palm Epoxy that I just recently receive so donít know what soil be the result , I try with LD ( Liquid Diamond ) and personally I donít like .

My process is simple I mix my PR and degase it ( or if I can say vacuum it ) leave rest for 5 minutes then pour in my tubes , I cast up right then in pressure pot over night, I turn my blanks when fully cured about 3 days ( this is me only because of my work )

Then turn and fit my kit , what kind of kit do I use , well Iím the only one to use any kits find on the market and I didnít see anyone doing CB Steampunk yet before me
Not to be pretentious here but look at those pens
Some members here got some of my work

Thank you for reading and looking , any questions ask if it goes on my little secret box
Attached Thumbnails
6ce48fa2-4fb6-42d9-a234-3e7b25c68c84.jpg   84bb1ff0-726f-4c66-8f7e-265024e950f8.jpg   73ee1021-74e0-4f17-a4ca-232e21604267.jpg   ca0efc0b-3851-4e95-928d-c0656150c1ad.jpg   5cf652b7-d855-4bc1-bd6b-99bc7d7242bb.jpg  

We do have the biggest grasshopper in the world......
Darley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads