Warranty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

siric

Hello,

Does anyone offer a warranty on their pens and if so, for how lone and what does it cover?

I have a customer asking me about offering and would love to get some guidance before I get back to them.

Thanks

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hcpens

Your Satisfaction is our goal!

We take personal pride in each one of our hand-made items. If you are not completely satisfied with any item, it may be returned to us within the first 30 days for an exchange or refund. If you ever have a question or problem regarding your item, please contact us and we will do all we can to resolve the issue.

Your item is warranted against manufacturing or mechanical defects for 1 year. Defects do not include bark incursions, voids or other naturally occurring elements of the wood or other material. These are inherent characteristics in the selection of a natural material.

Our warranty does not extend to ink cartridges, refills or pencil leads which are consumed through use. It also does not include normal wear due to use.

With proper care, your item should last a very long time. Please see our page on the proper care of your item which will help ensure many years of enjoyment.

When you warranty an item, remember to think about what and how you will satisfy the customer. I prefer a 3 year to a 1 year, but then again are the parts and product going to be available during this time period and will I or someone else have to cover the warranty if I am unable to cover the repair/replacement.

Joey-Nieves

I offer a warranty on my Pens, I really don't specify time, but I do instruct them on the use, handling and maintenance of the pen. I worn them about the Sun and the car, I tell them that they are not made for stirring coffee and that the plating is not Cheetos resistant. I also specify that mechanisms can fail and that I stand behind my work.
After all this and over 3000 pens sold I have had only one customer who would improperly use his pen and them claim warranty. The pen was an elegant beauty clicker

• He bought a baron fountain pen and forget it was a twist and pulled off the cap 2 times.
  • He dropped the pen and bent the nib and wanted a free replacement, and I gave him one.
  • He clicked it so much he wore out the grease in the mechanism. He claimed he only click it when he was going to use, but while talking to me he clicked the pen over 50 times.
  • He dropped the clicker and bent the tip so the pen wouldn't come out so he forced it jamming the whole thing. I fixed the nib and charged him $10
  • He bought the wrong refill for his girlfriends pen then jammed it down the body of classic twist, and shoved the transmission up the cap, charged him $10.
  • Told him the warranty had expired.
I have many clients, most are understanding, I even had a doctor bring a pen I sold him with the cap chewed up by his dog. I made him a new cap charged him $20(to cover the kit and the wood) he was so happy he bought $200 more in pens.
So my policy? Case by case, and always available to my clients
Joey

beck3906

A primary problem is you sell a pen to customer who is planning to give the pen as a gift. You explain the use and care of the pen to that customer.

The gift recipient doesn't hear the use and care spiel.

I received a gifted pen back because the person had damaged the pen beyond repair. Seemed they felt they need to use pliers to disassemble the pen. The original buyer felt I should have given written instruction on how to disassemble the pen.

Yes, the grooved teeth marks from the plier jaws was evidence on the pen body. I asked her who in their logical mind felt a pen should be disassembled with pliers.

Joey-Nieves

Well I hand out a card with a description of the wood, my Phone number and my email. In some cases I include a description of the mechanism. Most recipients of the gift call me, either to congratulate me on the pen, to ask how to change the refill or to buy more pens.
There is a saying in Puerto Rico "hay de todo en la viña del Señor" - everything is available in the lord's garden.

Joey

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The pens that I give away (mostly to family) I do not warrant but if they break something and ask for a new one I'll give it to them. If I sell a pen and it comes back (none ever has so far - but I don't sell many) I would fix or replace. I tell the buyer's that, If I sold a lot of pens I would create a written warranty specifying what is and what is not covered.

Smitty's Pen Works, on the other hand provides an unconditional warranty on all of our pen kits regardless of the manufacturer.

magpens

I have a lifetime warranty on my pens. No questions, save obvious abuse

I, too, give a lifetime warranty ... including refills ... I WANT my customers to come back for EVERY reason ... the price of a refill is nothing if you can interest them in another pen !

keithbyrd

I specify My pens have a lifetime warranty - then make sure they understand it's my life!
But they always get my card and on the back it says:
Satisfaction guaranteed. Your satisfaction with your custom, unique pen is my goal. Should you have any concerns with your pen please contact me. I cannot be responsible for wear, tear or abuse; But I will correct any problem with the quality and functioning of your pen.

Top Bottom