Warning: Linseed oil and rags

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joek30296

I posted this on several other woodworking forums that I'm a member of but feel so strongly about this that I felt it needed posting here as well. Many of us use BLO in pen finishing, so the possibility is there.

I just left a friend's house who, just yesterday, left some linseed oil soaked rags in a bucket in his attached garage. They smoked up the garage and were just at the point of ignition when his wife noticed smoke in the garage. She called 911 and firefighters were able to find the problem before damage was done, mainly smoke. The biggest problem was that she is confined to a wheelchair and the only exit ramp is through the garage. Guess you know what we'll be doing pretty quick....building another ramp to the outside.

I guess I said all that to say....dispose of those oily rags properly!!!

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yep, I am a professional homebuilder and a number of years ago, my painter accidentally burned a new house down by leaving stain soaked rags in a pile in the living room. He was not aware of the issues and it cost him dearly. Remember, most of your oil based stains have boiled linseed oil as the carrier.

turn4fun

I'll second that. A neighbor's garage burned completely down at 2:00 am. Spontaneous combustion of some rags with linseed oil that were in a plastic bag. I'm thinking about getting a small metal trash can with a tight metal top for any rags and paper towels that have linseed oil on them. Before I do, I'm going to have to research this a little bit to find out if that will be sufficiently safe. Does anyone know a proper way to handle rags or paper towels after they are used with linseed oil? Thanks.. Larry

underdog

I work for a place that has had two BLO related fires. Both started in 55 gallon drums from stain soaked rags. The second one started despite being sealed, and having water in the drum.

So... none of our current finishing products contain oil.

Nuff said.

WWAtty

Good to hear your friend didn't lose his house, or worse.

I bought a new, metal gallon paint can at Lowe's, painted it red, and it's my designated rag can. The lid seals airtight...no combustion problems.

joek30296

Guys,
Thanks for your comments and replies. Fortunately, there was only smoke damage but it could have been tragic.
Thanks again and.....stay safe!

Joe

Top Bottom