WARNING!!! if you are turning USS NC wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonSchmitt

Word of warning for those of you using the wood from the USS North Carolina, or ANY warship.

RUN A METAL DETECTOR OVER IT!!!!

I learned this the hard way.
The teak was used for its insulating properties, and also because it would catch SHRAPNEL and keep it from ricocheting.
( at least until some idiot with a turning tool hit it while turning a pen:eek: )

1 blank: destroyed
1 pair of shorts: also destroyed.

Just glad I wear a face shield and didn't have to explain to an ER doc how in 2011, I was wounded by a piece of shrapnel from WWII:biggrin:

(for the record, the wood I was turning came from another ship)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice of you to point that out!!!

An ounce of prevention is worth a couple thousand dollar ER visit!!! (use the money to buy turning toys!)

titan2

That would go without saying.....when using any recycled wood! I bought a big paddle one so that I can cover the whole board in one swipe!

Sorry about your blank.....glad you came out w/o any spilled blood! :highfive:

Barney

76winger

Happy everything came out OK (and glad your shorts caught it!). :)
I've got some recycled wood in my collection, as well as wood from backyard trees, so I break out the wood wizard every time use a piece of that stuff (just to be safe).

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Also nails

Note that it would not be unlike some disgruntled deck hand to have driven a nail into it either. Never having served on a large ship I don't know what sort of fastening system they used to hold the deck in place...but they had to use something and it was likely metal of some sort.

Top Bottom