Warning about using face plate as sharpening tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I read a great suggestion about using a 6" face plate to sharpen your tools by just gluing some sandpaper to it. I tried it this weekend, and it worked GREAT. Except that I had a small fire in my shop! The tool kicked up some sparks, which hit the shavings from my earlier turnings, and started to smoulder. Fortunately, I was able to grab them and take them outside where the hot embers quickly died. But be forewarned! I think I'll be putting up a piece of sheet metal behind my lathe so the sparks (and the sawdust) are more controlled.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

driften

Dang! Thanks for the heads up. Just goes to show we have to be thinking more about those shavings. That sure could have been me..... I don't clean up shavings enough [:(]

For that matter any grinding, face plate or grinder with wheels, could cause this to happen. I have installed a low speed grinder so it is very handy to my lathe.

Note to self: Go home and sweep the area around the lathe.

MDWine

I've cleaned up the shavings after EVERY PEN I HAVE MADE!! (both of them[:D])!!!

The Shopsmith folks sell a jig that bolts to your extension table, allowing you to use the 12" sanding disk to sharpen your tools... nifty, and works well I'm told. It has a shoulder for each type of chisel and gouge, and preserves an exact angle.

I just found one used, so I'll have it in a week or so. Although, I will be adding a bench grinder to my arsenal, RIGHT GRIZ ???[;)]

JimGo

Yeah Mike, I know...I SHOULD clean up after myself...you sound like my wife! :) (though she doesn't know about what happened) Well, I've learned my lesson; now I just need to figure out what's clogging my mini ShopVac.

Kevin M

I have been using that faceplate method for several months now and find that it works fairly well. Just mounted a piece of plywood to the faceplate, turned it down and spray glued a sanding disk to it. It will throw sparks but I keep my work area very clean and have had no problems.

JimGo

Yeah, me too! The worst part was, I had a spigot behind me, but had no good way of getting the water from the spigot to the embers without simultaneously flooding the puny little shop. I just swept everything into my hand (thankfully the other pieces were decent insulation) and stepped outside to the brick patio, then spread it around so it died quickly. But yes, my heart did start racing!

MDWine

An extinguisher is not a bad idea, no matter what. I don't think I've seen one in any of the shop pictures! Sorry you had to go through the experience to teach us a lesson. Glad it wasn't more serious!!

Gregory Huey

After reading this post last night I said to myself, self when was the last time you check the extinguisher for charge. Guess what no juice. Guess I will get a new one on the way home from work today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom