Wanted scew toutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I'v read and read about using the skew. I went to the liabrary and couldn't find anything. Has anybody ever done a video demo on the proper way to use a skew. Many of us,I believe, stear away from it because we really don't know the proper technique

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

SKEW --

Alan Lacer has a couple of DVDs that are excellent on the skew --

Skew Chisel: The Darkside & The Sweet Side

The Son of Skew -
Sequel to: Skew Chisel: The Darkside & The Sweet Side

I have used both of these for pointers --

But I suggest you find a AAW Chapter close to you or take a basic woodturning class at a place like Woodcraft so you can be mentored by a more experience turner. AAW chapters usually have a mentor program and they can really help your progress.

JimMc7

If all else fails, try the skew like a scraper: flat on the tool rest and make the cut with tool at or near center line. I could never get a skew to work for me until I tried this -- based on a tip I read here at IAP and I'd give credit if I remembered the poster. Also cut some blanks from scrap wood and practice -- you may be surprised how easy the cuts are when you're not worried about the results -- I was! I also use a radius grind on skews which IME reduces chance of a catch.

snyiper

I use the skew as a scraper I wasnt aware it could be used another way till someone said something here lately!!! Hmmm something to try!!

Mac

The skew is not a scaper. And can catch being used as one.
A scaper is a lot easier to use as a scraper than a skew being used as a scaper.

Good video---- ed4copies--- had to watch it again..
there are several on utube (skew practice comes to mine).is one.

Last edited:
One of the best ways to learn to use a skew is try it and play with it... watch a couple of videos if you find them, then practice.. then practice... then practice... then practice some more..... I find it one of the more versatile tools in my tool rack.... I'm still in the practice mode myself.

mranum

I had a devil of a time using a skew until I started turning pens. Now its all I use on pens. I turn them so they are almost down to the bushings then use it as a scraper to finish it off.

Great practice with technique since the way I have my mandrel setup if it gets too aggresive the blanks will just stop spinning on the mandrel. Biggest thing I learned when I started was that I didn't have them sharp enough.

Lenny

One thing I'll add to all the good advice above is ... turn a scrap piece round and then with the lathe OFF practice presenting the chisel to your work piece, being careful to note how the cutting edge meets the work. With a sharp skew and the correct presentation of the tool to the work,(riding the bevel) you should be able to "plane" a shaving off your blank. hth

Top Bottom