WANTED: Pen turner for hire... :-)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thequill

Hello all,

I am looking for a skilled craftsman to turn pen tubes for me.
I run a small boutique and have offered custom pens for several years and my pen turner is no longer able to "turn".

Part of what I have been offering is the finished pen tube and them my customers can choose what type of metal for their finished pen.

My pen turner can still assemble the pens and is eager to have something to do again. He is a life long friend and I want to keep him an active part of my business.

I am looking to the best pen turning community out there to find someone willing to help me out.

I would send the pen tubes for say a gatsby or a Jr. Gent II with the blank I need turned. Then you would turn them and finish the blank and then send it back.

Anyone interested? Please send or reply a price list for the following pens...
I would pay for the bushing you might need.

Gatsby - Penn State
Designer - Penn State, or wherever.
Orion - Woodturningz
Jr. Gent II - Craft Supplies USA

Thanks,
Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thequill

Good question... I should have included that.

I would probably order between 5-10 at a time maybe twice a month.

It is hard to tell some months more and some months less.

It would mostly be acrylic but some woods too.
Martin, my old turner says to ask if you paint the tubes or paint the inside of the blank when working with acrylic?

They would need to be just a regular profile, no fancy shaping.

It might be a nice little side income for the right person.

Thanks!

Last edited:

williamcr

I would be interested but I would need more details like how much you are looking to spend. Also, when painting the tubes on acrylic it depends on the acrylic blanks used whether they need to be painted and what color.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Have interested parties pm you to discuss wages. You dont have to discuss wages here. There will be more replies as the day goes along and people get off work. There are plenty of turners on this site that can help you.
I am not one of them.

Sabaharr

Yes Ryan, I am very interested. I specialize in acrylics and can easily handle the volume you are wanting. If the blank chosen requires the tube to be painted that is not a problem either. I do all of my pen work now as custom orders, not for show sale, so this would fall right into my mostly open schedule. Send me the details and lets see what we can work out. I can't see why if it was lucrative for both parties before, it can be again.
Stephen

Last edited:

thequill

WOW!!

Well... I have been overwhelmed by the community of turners here! So far I have been met with very kind replies with very fair bids!

This is a very difficult decision. Quality craftsmanship is not lacking among you all.

I have sent an e-mail to a few of the first to respond and will see if it works out with them.

I have a feeling I will be spending many a free hour enjoying posts and pictures here on the IAP Forum.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Top Bottom