Wanna see a dirty movie, NOW!!! or "I'll share" her

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
present (WHAT were YOU thinking???)!

After just 5 years of being too cheap to buy a movie camera, Dawn got me one for Christmas!!! So, I took my first movie. It's a DIRTY movie, realizing that I have never cleaned my shop since day one. The camera is on a mounting device I made to sit on the headstock of my Delta lathe (also 15 years USED)! So, the movie is a little rusty as well as being dirty. (All the features a REAL GUY would like to have).

I spent all day editing the "voice over". But, I believe it will be worthwhile for those who have asked me how I use a skew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTgiE_U6eOk

This will show one of Roy's Polyresin blanks with the gold leaf over the brass tubes. It starts out square and, seven minutes later, its a pen---well the cap half of a Jr. Gent. The next movie will be up to you guys.

After five or six of them, I hope to be able to make a pretty good DVD--but that's a while away.

For those who view, please take a moment to critique, either here or send me a PM. I expect to post the link about 6:45 my time (half an hour after this is being typed---the video is uploading to youtube, now). EDIT: Make that 7 PM, the upload is still going on (91MB)

Looking for feedback, especially related to the angle of viewing--can you tell what is happening???

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Looks pretty good, for me the volume was coming and going, I assume as you faced and turned away from the mic. A slightly angled view as opposed to straight on might show a better look at some of what you were saying. I'm no expert but you did ask so that is what my initial thoughts were. Thanks for posting it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Landon!!

Actually that is "voice over", recorded after the turning was done. That is what took me all day today. I think I need a better microphone, but I splurged for NEARLY TEN bucks for the one I am using, so it may be a while before it's sufficiently worn out to try again.

But yes, I know the audio needs work.

titan2

Looks pretty good. Sounds like you need a wind sock or something over the mic or a little different position to get rid of the popping of the 'P's and such. Over all very good.......I like it!

Barney

arjudy

I agree about the voice over being somewhat inconsistent. I also liked the view from the headstock to show the method of using the skew. So when are you going to have the next one up.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree about the voice over being somewhat inconsistent. I also liked the view from the headstock to show the method of using the skew. So when are you going to have the next one up.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

What do you want? A different view of the same (rounding down)? The sanding was supposed to be edited out, it stayed in--so you already got that fascinating footage. Move into bottlestoppers? Peppermills? Full process of making a pen?

Where would you like to see this go?

Sberger

Thanks, that was a good video, especially for a first time. Potential beyond pens!! I really enjoyed the part about rounds then ends to prevent so much chunking out of the blank. Thanks for the tip.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It's a feature I had installed, Charlie.

There's a "Tallent-O-Meter".

If the video thinks you are too good a turner already, it shuts down.​

Congratulations, you were the first one to trigger it!!!

DennisM

It's a feature I had installed, Charlie.​

There's a "Tallent-O-Meter".​

If the video thinks you are too good a turner already, it shuts down.​

Congratulations, you were the first one to trigger it!!!

If thats the case when I tried it should have Played Really slow with subtitles.......

arjudy

Again, I liked the view from the headstock but maybe the same process shown from the front of the lathe (have the camera facing you :eek:. If that is too scary then position the camera above the lathe and shoot down on it:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:).

Since you mentioned it a peppermill video would be great as well.:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
85 views of a 9 minute video in an hour was, apparently, not what YouTube was expecting. Now, if I had put "user name-Paris H???" Perhaps they could have been ready??

If you will all please stay in a single-file line, I'm sure they will accomodate you all and

DON'T ALL GO FOR POPCORN
AT THE SAME TIME!!!

We'll have a POPCORN STAND FAILURE!!

Rollerbob

Ed, from my vew, not bad for a first. Kinda fun to watch an oldtimer turn with a skew.:wink: Looks like you still have steady hands!!:biggrin: Looking forward to your next production!:cool:

DennisM

Couple of tips..

Turn up the gain on your mic, get a boom cover for it, enable noise canceling.

Yup Ed, it was me, I kept having to pause it to take notes and rewind it to catch up. I know what I have been doing wrong now, Wrong type of skew, the one I was using has a curve in the middle of it! :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Couple of tips..

Yup Ed, it was me, I kept having to pause it to take notes and rewind it to catch up. I know what I have been doing wrong now, Wrong type of skew, the one I was using has a curve in the middle of it! :)

That's a Lacer skew. Great tool!! Want the next video to use one of them??

(Actually, I don't have one right now-=-but I have used it -- it will work, I just prefer the more conventional--maybe in one video I will show why)

jimofsanston

Pretty good. You may want to get a remote mic so we don't have to turn up the volume all the way to hear you talk. Like it was mentioned if you have the camera turned a little on an angle it would show better on what you are doing

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Technogeeks are appreciated!!!

Dennis,

The gain is at max (30 db).
Noise cancelling---I'm not certain, but will check.
I'm speaking directly into it, on my desk at the office!!!! Don't know what else I can do, except talk lots louder.

Appreciate the suggestions, though.

Couple of tips..

Lenny

What do you want? A different view of the same (rounding down)? The sanding was supposed to be edited out, it stayed in--so you already got that fascinating footage. Move into bottlestoppers? Peppermills? Full process of making a pen?

Where would you like to see this go?

ummm,.... maybe something with cheerleaders and pom poms! :biggrin:

Or explain more about the different skews and why you prefer one over the other.

WildcatHollow

Thank you!

Ed...

I watched your video and went into my shop and tried out what you had recommended. It was the first time since I started that I finally felt comfortable using the skew. Now I know what to expect when I'm using it correctly.

Great first video.

I look forward to more of them.

Thank you.

Regards,

t.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Ed...

I watched your video and went into my shop and tried out what you had recommended. It was the first time since I started that I finally felt comfortable using the skew. Now I know what to expect when I'm using it correctly.

Great first video.

I look forward to more of them.

Thank you.

Regards,

t.

WOW!!! That would be the perfect praise! I have to say that the skew is personally my favorite tool, but I don't make it look nearly as easy as Ed does. I'm gonna have to watch it again, then try the shop myself.

DennisM

Dennis,

The gain is at max (30 db).
Noise cancelling---I'm not certain, but will check.
I'm speaking directly into it, on my desk at the office!!!! Don't know what else I can do, except talk lots louder.

Appreciate the suggestions, though.

Goto wally world and get a set of nice headphones with the mic as well, they help alot!

Position the mic just off to the left of your mouth and adjust setting untill you only hear yourself.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
A skew is a scary "catch". First time it happens, you put the tool down and figure you REALLY DIDN'T NEED it. So, here's my theory:

A "catch" happens when both ends of the skew hit your blank. IF the skew is near VERTICAL, the two ends are as far apart as possible and unlikely to hit the blank at the same time. The wider the skew, the truer this is. So, use a BIG skew. This will also dampen vibration due to the thickness of the steel. Again, making turning more relaxing.

I will make more movies ("videos" to you young guys), but this is only MY approach. I am not here to demean anyone else's way. I REALLY ENJOY reading Toby's remarks--I must admit! You made my day!!

Hope many can benefit, while I learn more about editing and production.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think it was trick photography.

I saw a spinning blank, then I saw a skew.
I saw the skew touch the spinning blank..
AND THE BLANK WAS STILL THERE!

I call bull$#it.. :tongue:

DennisM

A skew is a scary "catch". First time it happens, you put the tool down and figure you REALLY DIDN'T NEED it. So, here's my theory:

A "catch" happens when both ends of the skew hit your blank. IF the skew is near VERTICAL, the two ends are as far apart as possible and unlikely to hit the blank at the same time. The wider the skew, the truer this is. So, use a BIG skew. This will also dampen vibration due to the thickness of the steel. Again, making turning more relaxing.

LOl aint that the truth! I had one catch a piece of bloodwood, shot the darn thing out of my hang down past elbow and through a plate glass window!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You make it look too easy. Nice present from the Princess. What's obvious to me is how sharp your tools are. That would make an excellent section for your DVD - See Ed sharpen his tool.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How bout I remove ALL the noise of the lathe and the turning?? Will you feel like you're missing something?

Maybe I take the noise out when I am talking, then let you hear it from time to time and stop talking??

Whatcha think???

Top Bottom