Walrus Oosik

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasper

This is a piece of walrus oosik (google it) it is fossilized from an ancient walrus.

20071023191629_WWidth.jpg

As you can see it is large enough for a pen blank; a little over 3/4 inches diameter and about 4 3/4 long.
2007102319311_WLegnth.jpg

It has the look and feel of ivory, but it is fossilized bone. In the center there is a visably open pourus area, something like you might find in antler or small animal bones.

2007102319649_WEnd.jpg

Given that a walrus has the largest body size to legnth ratio for this body part, I think there might be an upscale pen buyer with enough ego to want this pretty badly (meet Bob).

I've been <s>holding on to it</s>, make that, "I've owned it" for a year or so but am a little reluctant to start working on it. It is only moderately valuable but I would hate to destroy something that is thousands of years old.

Has anyone had any experience drilling and turning this material?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've made a pen from oosik. It is a pain to deal with. Treat it like mammoth or elephant ivory. There are quite a few articles in the archives about both. There's even an "Ode to an Oosik". [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is what it can look like:

20071023213842_oosikbyeagle.jpg
<br />

The picture was forwarded to me by Eagle with permission to post for your reference.

Enjoy!!

Chasper

Thanks Ed. That is about how I was imagining how it would turn out. I did run across a few more pictures, some of them are darker but I think the piece I have will be about this color.

I haven't had much luck searching in the archives Lou. I keep getting timed out, probably a problem on my end, I'll try on a different computer tonight.

I'm going to spend some time reading about this before I start drilling and turning. This material has been preserved for several thousand years, it would not be right to tear into it and possibly destroy it because I had not spent another month or whatever it takes to learn how to work it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Chasper
<br />Thanks Ed. That is about how I was imagining how it would turn out. I did run across a few more pictures, some of them are darker but I think the piece I have will be about this color.

I haven't had much luck searching in the archives Lou. I keep getting timed out, probably a problem on my end, I'll try on a different computer tonight.

I'm going to spend some time reading about this before I start drilling and turning. This material has been preserved for several thousand years, it would not be right to tear into it and possibly destroy it because I had not spent another month or whatever it takes to learn how to work it.

Gerry, don't use the advanced search feature. It doesn't work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom