Walmart pen instructions as requested

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

splinter99

A few people have asked for the instructions for the walmart pen..here it is

First things first. Put on a grateful dead cd..turn it up real loud, then…..

1) predrill wood blanks..3/8 hole at least 4 inches deep.(.I find the best way to do this is to drill them is on the lathe, holding the wood in a chuck and the bit in a drill chuck on the tail stock)

2) trim and square wood blanks to 3-13/16ths

3) dismantle the Wal-Mart pen, unscrew the two half’s, pull off the metal sleeve from the top half, remove the rubber comfort grip from the bottom(I just cut them off with a razor knife)

4) You will have to modify the bottom half of the barrel to fit inside the wood blank. You need to turn down the upper trim part.
If you put an old slim line barrel on your mandrel and a few spacers, you can slide the bottom barrel on the mandrel enough to get the nut on as it has a slight taper to it.

5) Glue the metal sleeve into the wood blank keeping the top edge flush with the top of the blank. You will notice a small notch in the sleeve. Keep this to the top of the barrel and line it up where you want the clip to go. Some people cut the little part off that slides into the notch but most of mine slid right in. if not I just file it down a little with a needle file

6) Turn your wood blank down to size. I use the smallest cigar bushing for the top of the pen and I made a bushing out of corrian for the bottom .375 for the small part of the bushing .420 for the large part of the bushing
Sand wood and finish as desired

7) Assemble pen. Bend out the clip slightly, press the top half of the pen into the blank,(line up the clip with the notch)
Screw the bottom half of the pen into the blank, replace refill with a parker brand, screw on nib and your done

The nice thing about this is that you can remove all of the parts except the metal sleeve just by unscrewing them. So if you have a mechanism go bad you can replace it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Harold: Thanks for the details. I thought there was a picture of the "guts" of the Wal-Mart pen before it took on its new identity; but went back for a look and could not find one. Any chance you could post a(another) picture? Thanks.

BTW, for those who may have missed the original post, this is a link to pictures of the completed pen.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=2113&cid=2331&page=1

splinter99

I will post a pic of the walmart pen guts in my galery, also of the inside barrel after it was turned down and a pic of a handfull of the completed pens

cozee

How about a pic of the pens as they hung on the rack at Wally World? I took a quick look at one of the local Supers today and couldn't find any pens that were 3 for $1.96 or that looked similar to yours (should of taken a pic with me!!). If I could see what I should be looking for it may help. I agree these will make great give-aways.

txbob

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16936

Originally posted by cozee
<br />How about a pic of the pens as they hung on the rack at Wally World? I took a quick look at one of the local Supers today and couldn't find any pens that were 3 for $1.96 or that looked similar to yours (should of taken a pic with me!!). If I could see what I should be looking for it may help. I agree these will make great give-aways.

Randy_

<br />.....If I could see what I should be looking for it may help.....

IIRC, there was a response to the original post that not all Wal-Marts carry these pens so don't get too frustrated if you can't find them.

cozee

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
<br />.....If I could see what I should be looking for it may help.....

IIRC, there was a response to the original post that not all Wal-Marts carry these pens so don't get too frustrated if you can't find them.

I know, just holding out hope!!!!!!![8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom