Wall thickness on brass tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
In the past, I have bought 8mm brass tubes in 10" lengths from different sources and I didn't keep track of which were which or who I bought them from. Some of them have a wall thickness of 0.34mm (0.013") and others have a wall thickness of 0.17mm (0.006"). I prefer the thicker walled tubes because a 7mm tube will slip inside without a whole lot of slop.

Does anyone know which supplier stocks the thicker walled 8mm tubes in 10" lengths?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

In the past, I have bought 8mm brass tubes in 10" lengths from different sources and I didn't keep track of which were which or who I bought them from. Some of them have a wall thickness of 0.34mm (0.013") and others have a wall thickness of 0.17mm (0.006"). I prefer the thicker walled tubes because a 7mm tube will slip inside without a whole lot of slop.

Does anyone know which supplier stocks the thicker walled 8mm tubes in 10" lengths?

I'm not an expert in tube suppliers, but I'd check art stores, as I recently found that they carry brass tubes (and flat stock). But also, you would look at online metal suppliers.

BTW- are you a Terry Pratchett fan? Or is your user name a reference to something else?

pssherman

There are 2 thicknesses of 8 mm tubes. One is for pens and the other is for pencils. I'm not quite sure, but I think the thicker one is for pencils. Check with Woodturningz or Wood-n-Whimsies. Both of them should have it.

I have found that the standard sizes, english and metric, that are commonly available through USA suppliers of brass tubing are not quite the same size as those we get from the penmaking suppliers. The inside diameter is important for the press fit parts that we use.

Top Bottom