Wall Street Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

Has anyone experience this problem. When using a finished wall street pen, I hear what sounds like a loose tip on the refill; when lifting the tip off the paper and then back on to the paper, you hear a clicking noise on the tip. I've tried switching the spring and transmission, but nothing seems to get rid of the noise. Got a customer who is interested in buying the pen except for the noise described above. Trying to see if anyone else has experienced this and what available solutions, if any. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I've had them with the hole in the nib to large. This lets the refill move excessively. When writing, the refill is pressed against the side of the nib hole. When the pen is lifted, the refill falls against the opposite side of the nib hole and makes a click sound.

propencity

I'll try switching the nib. I have seen this happen before on another wall street/sierra pen but didn't think too much of it then. I can understand from the customer's point of view, the rattling noise can be a nuisance when writing.

I will also switch the refill to see if that helps.

Thanks.

propencity

Have tried switching refills and the same rattling problem exists. I believe it is the nib hole being too large allowing too much play that is causing this. I guess on a $25 pen it may not be a big deal, but on a black ti plated pen with a high grade burl blank and the customer pays $75, then the faint rattling becomes a big deal.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Do you have the spring the right way round? Tighter end of the spring goes onto the refill first.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Not all refills have exactly the same "nib" diameter. You might try a couple different manufacturers of refills if the question merits the time, to you.

propencity

Thanks for everyone's input. Tighter end of the spring was already in first. After trying 4 more refills, I got one that seems to have gotten rid of most of the rattling; a lot better than before. I'll go with this one. Thanks again.

hdtran

Aren't all "Wall Street n" (where n = {2,3}) Woodcraft-branded pens?

I'm a bit skeptical about hunting for a refill that works. What happens when the customer uses the ink all up, then, goes to OfficeMax/OfficeDepot/Staples to buy a new refill, and the new refill rattles?

Speculating (as I have not had this issue with Parker-refilled twist pens), would it be possible to use pliers to tighten the spring a bit? Would that be a better fix than finding a refill with a wider nib-end?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
BTW, I had purchased this black Ti Wall Street from Woodcraft

"Wall Street" is WoodCraft's designation for the Sierra, made by Berea. So, when you gave the name, most of us knew where it came from.

Glad you found a "fix"!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

propencity

I found another thread about the same type of problem. In here, it suggests pulling on the spring, which I tried before finding the refill that worked. Elongating the spring by pulling did not help, for me, at least. I checked my other sierra and wall street pens and noticed the same problem, although, not as noticeable as this one.

I agree that finding a refill to solve this problem is not best solution, but haven't found an alternative that works. I'll try compressing the spring with pliers, as suggested, to see if tightening can eliminate/reduce the play on the refill. Thanks!

hdtran

I found another thread about the same type of problem. In here, it suggests pulling on the spring, which I tried before finding the refill that worked. Elongating the spring by pulling did not help, for me, at least. I checked my other sierra and wall street pens and noticed the same problem, although, not as noticeable as this one.

I agree that finding a refill to solve this problem is not best solution, but haven't found an alternative that works. I'll try compressing the spring with pliers, as suggested, to see if tightening can eliminate/reduce the play on the refill. Thanks!

If the rattling comes from the nib-in-the-fitting not being stiff enough from side-to-side, maybe it's a stiffer spring that you want? Or, going kluge-o-matic, wrapping a thin plastic shim (heat shrink tubing, or vinyl shim?) around the spring, before loading the spring inside the tube? Just grasping at straws here...

Top Bottom