Wait??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithkarl2007

Ok so you order say 5 Aero (or any other) pen kits. Would you turn the blanks and have them finished and then assemble them when they arrive?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Yes, and no....

I have done this and can USUALLY get away with it if its a kit I know well.

I have had some kits change though, even from the same vendor and manufacturer.

So - would I do it... Sure... Would I do it with an extremely unique one of a kind blank... nope.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
People do it

I don't advise either way but there are people who have ordered from me who also had tubes shipped before their order so they could do just that. I also think some of the special blanks you can order are "tubed" for a particular style pen.

Brooks803

I guess a good compromise would be to turn them close to the bushings and once your kits arrive it's all calipers to components for the final turning. I'm also assuming you have a supply of the proper tubes on hand, right?

GoodTurns

I have started calipering everything and have been quite surprised at some of the variances I find on the same type of kit. between production controls and variances in platings, now I wait. I do cut, round, drill and glue up before I have kits in hand, but wait to be sure before finishing up.

Rangertrek

If you are short for time, pre-turn to almost the size needed and them confirm measurements with the actual kits and finish turn. I do this on a few large (20-24) pen orders while I wait for the kits to arrive. I usually keep extra tubes in stock for this reason.

Top Bottom