VS retro kit for JET mini

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Petricore

I am considering buying one of the retro kits for my JET mini lathe and have a few questions for owners of the kit: 708351-VSR.
I noticed it still has 3 belts on it, do you have to move the belts around still to change ranges ? If so what are the rpm ranges per belt ?
Do you find that a hassle, do you still get alot of usable RPM range from a single belt or will I be changing belts alot like I am now ?
Does it have a readout to tell you where your at RPM wise, or do you just have to wing it ?

Thanks in advance,
Linc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

The VS Jet has the ability to change speeds with the dial and change ranges with the belts. Mine stays in high range most times. I do most of my changes with the dial. It seems to be enough for what I do. The VS conversion kit should do the same for you.
I am very happy that I went with the VS model.

GoodTurns

I put the kit on in about 45 minutes (I am NOT mechanically inclined, my idea of repairing a car involves embarrasment and a VISA card). You set the belts per instructions and are set to go. You can change them if you need a different speed, but the ranges seem pretty accurate (I usually lose count of the mark spinning around at about 2 or 3, so can't verify) and give you a good variety of speeds.

BruceK

The speed ranges are:
500-1200 (500, 580, 680, 900, 1200)
1100-2600 (1100, 1200, 1400, 1850, 2600)
1700-3900 (1700, 1800, 2050, 2750, 3900)

I turn on the high setting and switch to the low setting for sanding and finishing.

BruceK

No, I switch belts to the 500-1200 range for sanding and finishing. Sorry for the confusion. All in all I am pleased with the conversion and think it was worth the money spent. Sometimes I might sand a bit at 1700 (before going to the belt change) but not for long as I try to avoid heating up the blanks too much.

Petricore

It seems a bit less worth it if I'd still need to change belts to go down and sand :( I was hoping to never touch the belts again, but I think I sand/finish in the 900-1100 range....

M

monkeynutz

I know several folks who have kept the belt in the middle range and learned to cope with sanding a little faster than they'd like and turning a little slower. Done it that way myself a few times.

Randy_

Within the last week or so, there was an auction on eBay for those kits and they were going for $60-$80. You can see the thread I posted in the business classified section.

Top Bottom