Visible glue with acrylic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chris99210

I'm a newbie turning pens and have run into a problem with a recent acrylic blank. The acrylic has a very translucent gold background with swirls of other colors in it. I used the standard brass tube since I knew you'd be able to see it through the turned blank, and I didn't think any other color would blend in better. Now that I've turned it to the final dimension and finished it I can see glue splotches along the tube (or they may be glue voids, it's hard to tell). If I didn't have the visible "spots" of glue it would be OK as being able to see the brass tube through the gold acrylic isn't objectionable. I thought I had spread the CA very thoroughly over the tube and was sure to twist it back and forth as I inserted it into the blank. I used accelerator when it was in place. Am I seeing splotches because I didn't get even coverage of the CA along the tube, or did I drill the hole a bit too large and have too much gap between the tube and the blank in places? Or is this typical for translucent acrylics? :confused: I used medium CA. My wife likes several of these acrylic blanks and wants me to make more, but I'm not happy with the way it turned out and this pen is headed for the junk drawer. :frown: Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwilki

Chris: Colour the inside of the blank before gluing in the tube. If you do this, use epoxy to glue the tube, as CA removes many of the paints that you can use to colour the blank.

cowchaser

Get some 30 minute Epoxy (Mannie sells some) and some model paint the color you want it to be. Mix together and spread inside your drilled blank or on your tube. No more glue spots.

Or you can just paint the inside of the blank and won't see the glue either. That's what I do anyways.

GouletPens

Epoxy helps a lot, and is also MUCH stronger for holding in the acrylics. CA is not good at filling gaps, and can break away from the acrylic during turning. I would switch to epoxy for all tube gluing just as a general rule.

fernhills

You can also tint the epoxy with pearlX powders as well as painting the tubes,that helps a lot. C/A doesn`t take well to tinting all the time.

BruceA

Welcome to the world of acrylic blanks.
As noted above, the three usual solutions:
1 - paint the inside of the blank
2 - paint the brass tube
3 - tint the epoxy

I've been painting the inside of the blank and also the brass tube and have had good success. I picked up a set of acrylic paints from Walmart for $9.99 (like 36 colors), and they work great. If you buy the Testor's model paints for $1.69+- for the "micro" bottles, they're going to run up your costs if you are doing a lot of different colors of blanks. Some turners go with straight black on tubes and blanks, as another thought.

This is definitely one of the nitty gritty details when working with acrylic blanks, and not a step that can be skipped and still expect quality results.

chris99210

Thanks for the suggestions, they now seem obvious! For the specific blank I had problems with I think painting the inside of the blank would have solved the problem, so I'm off to Walmart. What kind of epoxy do you recommend using? We have a Woodcraft here in town if it's something they would carry. When I use epoxy how much longer do I have to wait before turning the blank?

PaulDoug

Reading this thread I came up with a question. How do most of you get paint on the inside of the tube? I've only done a few acrylic pens, and I sprayed the inside of the tube but it was a messy job. Just wondering if there is an easy applicator. Pipe cleaner?

jkeithrussell

Reading this thread I came up with a question. How do most of you get paint on the inside of the tube? I've only done a few acrylic pens, and I sprayed the inside of the tube but it was a messy job. Just wondering if there is an easy applicator. Pipe cleaner?

Fingernail polish-type applicator brush or q-tip.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Wear gloves. Disposable, cheap, who cares about the mess??

I use testers paint and apply it with a Q-tip. I use the same Q-tip to put a drop or two of paint in the epoxy.

GouletPens

Thanks for the suggestions, they now seem obvious! For the specific blank I had problems with I think painting the inside of the blank would have solved the problem, so I'm off to Walmart. What kind of epoxy do you recommend using? We have a Woodcraft here in town if it's something they would carry. When I use epoxy how much longer do I have to wait before turning the blank?

You can use Loctite 5-minute epoxy. I get mine at Home Depot in the twin 4-oz. bottles for $15. But I make a LOT of pens. The 5-minute stuff in the "syringe" is the same stuff but messier and costs more per pen. It comes in different "minutes", which is the time it takes to set up (gets realy gummy). The 5 minute stuff is good cuz you can mix it up, do a couple of pens with it, and turn the pens in a couple hours at most. The longer the set time, the longer the time you have to wait before turning. Even the 5 minute stuff is about 10,000 times more working time than CA, so you'll be fine with that. I like the loctite stuff b/c the hardener is slightly yellow, which makes it easy to mix (50/50). Let it sit an least an hour, preferable a couple if you have the time (esp. if your shop is cold). Woodcraft would probably have it, but you can get it almost anywhere (walmart, HD, lowe's, etc).

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
You can also order the epoxy from "wooden wonders" for $9. He also sells CA at good prices. I use the 5 minute epoxy and depending on the temperature am usually turning within 10 minutes. I just watch the left over epoxy on my mixing sheet, when it's good and hard I figure it's safe to turn. Haven't had a problem yet.

randyrls

I spray the tubes with a standard spray can from the Big Borg store. Hold the blank over a couple of newspapers. Put the spray nozzle at one end and give it a one second pszzzt. Then do the same from the other end. Wear a glove on the hand holding the blank.

Top Bottom