Vise ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomy2

I am getting one of the self centering vises. How does this work? I know you put the blanks in the vise in the grooves...but what is the celf centering part? Do I have to clamp down the base to the drill table? Thanks for the help![?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Yes, you would have to clamp the base of the vise down or otherwise keep it from moving horizontally. Self-centering refers to the fact that both jaws of the vise move toward each other at the same rate thus the center of whatever is being clamped will end up over the center of the vise's base. Many of the turners use these on their drill presses and I've heard great things about their performance if your drill press has enough of a throw to get through the pen in one pass.

I don't use one myself as I don't have a big enough drill press and have to lift the blank to get all the way through it.

I have one and wouldn't be without it! I clamp it to my drill table. For the longer blanks where the throw won't reach I drill down as far as i can, then stop the drill and slide the blank up over the bit, tighten it down again and drill the remainder of the way. Works perfect every time. I drill round stock and uneven stock, all without a problem. Once you get the hang of it, it's the best thing since sliced bread!

melchioe

I love my self-centering vise. To center it, I extend the bit down as far as the drill press will go, then, with a junk bit in the chuck, lightly clamp the vise to the end (to center the vise on the axis of the bit). Then while bit is still down and vise still clamped on junk bit, I secure the table on the press and clamp the vise to the table. Then I can release the bit from the vise, thereby letting the drill press head return to the resting position.

All blanks put into the vise from that point (as long as table and vise remain secure) is sure to be centered.

Obviously, the junk bit is so you don't dull a good bit by clamping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom