Virage ballpoints

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Has anybody noticed that the clips for the Virage ballpoints seem to be undersized, or is it just me? And if so, what remedy is there? I've managed to crack 3 blanks trying to press the cap/clip into the barrel.

Assembly tips appreciated...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Whenever you get a clip that has too small a hole, simply file out the inside of the hole a little. I used a dremel tool (I am not patient and I made pens to sell, speed was an issue).

It was pretty normal for both the slimline and the cigar pen--particularly on TiGold plating. I surmised the plating was thicker than the "spec".

Hope I read your question correctly,

Ed

gtriever

Thanks, Ed. Looks like I either need to add the Dremel to my assembly tools or just write off the Virage line, because the problem is with every kit I've seen so far, regardless of plating. In a perfect world, the manufacturer would be checking this before they signed off on the design.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have a dremel tool plugged in, near my lathe. It also works wonders when the bushings are tight, and you find out there is glue in the brass tube. Or, just to remove a little brass so I don't crack expensive, cast blanks.

I agree better quality control would be nice, but that varies widely, from one manufacturer to the next.

Last edited:

magpens

A chain saw file is a must-have in my shop.

I have made over 100 Virage ballpoints and am aware of the tight clip fit.
But I have never broken anything.
The tight fit can be an advantage because the clip doesn't "spin around" after assembly.
I use a pen press CAREFULLY to press the finial and the clip on together and that works for me without enlarging the clip hole.

Top Bottom