Video Tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

follow3

Hello All,

Where can I find a good video or tutorial about turning with the Skew? Also info on sharpening the Skew?

How about info on the Spindlemaster?

Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
From what I understand, the Alan Lacer's 'Skew Chisel' and 'Son of Skew' are both good. I've not seen either, but have employed aspects of both to my 'hit and miss' version of skewing that I learned from piecing things together here and elsewhere. The skew is not a tool to play around with if you're trying to learn and simultaneously produce successful turnings.

When learning the skew myself (in the way it was designed to be used), I went through some really scary moments when it grabbed and caught, but now that I've learned how to use it, most of the time it's the only tool I use for pens. I haven't used a gouge or scraper for a long time, on pens at least. Learn it, love it...but don't fear it, just stay safe and go for it! Use some scrap wood, though. When you make an 'oops' with a skew, it's usually a blank-killer.

I also recommend learning how to cuss at it. heh

gothycdesigns

I would agree that the Alan Lacer video are probably the best on the subject. The other optin is to also learn the Spindelmaster, wich is a cross between the skew and a gouge and partial scraper to. It seems to be a little more forgiving, but i have heard learning on a spindlemaster, it kinda gears you up for the skew. Oval skews seem to be the popular and less likely to dig into the tool rest metal.

Hope this helps.

Ray

mrcook4570

Lacer is a very good teacher. He came to our local club recently and shared his techniques. He does not like oval skews. They lack a flat side which aids in control.

Top Bottom