very very bad 2 hours

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

biednick

So i just need to vent about this. The night started out ok with a successful walnut slim. Then I blew out 5 (yes, five) corn cobs:mad:. i turned an Osage slim, Cracked during assembly:mad::mad:. Then i look at my walnut slim, ca finish fogged the plating:mad::mad::mad:. I called it quits after 7 unsuccessful ear rings:at-wits-end:. Overall, i sent about 10 bucks in blanks to the landfill. oh, and after my 7th earing i threw a gouge at the floor (not the smartest thing Ive done:redface:)and when I picked it up to survey damage a 2 inch piece f the shaft had snapped off. There's another 20-30 bucks gone.:at-wits-end:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Sorry to say but "Poop Happens!!!" . We've all had similar times at the lathe . I've had nights where I wasted expensive Ebonite and one of a kind cast blanks . You can't get frustrated or you just make matters worse , as you've found out . I just turn off the lathe and find something else to do and go back when I've had a chance to calm down . The next time will be better .

PenMan1

Put them in your "humility bucket". Then the next time you have a sensational day, you can look in the bucket and sing "hahahaha!"

It happens to all of us. Babe Ruth hit over 700 homeruns in his career. During that same career he struck out several thousand times.......and "Babe" is considered one of the best ever!

Hang in there....tomorrow will be better.

biednick

Yes, i realize getting frustrated was the worst thing to do. Oh well. And my humility bucked has gone from a coffee can to a 2.5 gallon bucket in the last week. I hardly ever use that gouge, so its not a huge deal. Its just that in 2 hours I made nothing but a pile of saw dust. That is the part that im pissed about. But, ill go back tomorrow and stop before the 7th earring blows up.

Bobalu

We've all had these same type days. For me, if I even have one blown out blank, I back off, put down the tools, and find something else to fill my time. I know from experience the second try won't be any better. It's just that way with me.

BTW -- I've never had any luck with corn cob. Next to coffee bean blanks I think it's the worst stuff on the planet to turn. As for the CA fogging, if you're not already doing so, let the blanks cure for 24 hours. It takes the CA some time to fully set and cure.

nativewooder

There are a lot of woodturning clubs and facilities in Ohio. Why not avail yourself of some of their knowledge. All of us have had days like yours and when I got tired of wasting time and wood, I started asking questions of my woodturning buddies and found out that my technique was totally wrong. Life is good!

biednick

BTW -- I've never had any luck with corn cob. Next to coffee bean blanks I think it's the worst stuff on the planet to turn. As for the CA fogging, if you're not already doing so, let the blanks cure for 24 hours. It takes the CA some time to fully set and cure.[/quote]

I have in the past, and that didn't bother me much because i get them in a field near my house and stabilize them with ca.

And as for the CA, that was my fault, I didnt let it cure long enough. I just find things like that aggravating, its not like a slimline kit and a blank ripped from a board set me back much.

Last edited:

nava1uni

It happens to all of us. I just consider it part of the learning process. If I can back off and let it go until later and then rethink what I was doing I can usually figure out why it all happened that way. Last night in getting ready for a show today I have 4 kits fail during assembly. I figured it was time to stop and went upstairs and did something different, like relax.
As for throwing the gouge you are really lucky that it didn't ricochet and hurt you. Maybe you should stop before you get to that point.

Gary Beasley

I have good results with corn cob only with a very sharp skew and lots of CA.
Learn to be patient with yourself, that'll be the best investment you can make.

ctubbs

Wow, you really need to learn when to walk away!!:wink:
If we are all honest I'm sure we've had days like that!!

Not me! Ium plerfuct! I never cut through to the tube. I never vblow out any kind of blank. And even more I never assembleyu a kit wrung. See?
By the way, I'm with several others, my humility bucket is a 55 gal drum and it needs emptying now. See ya.
Charles:redface::tongue::confused:

workinforwood

Sorry it didn't go well. I got myself a heck of a bruise on my thumb nail when a blank kicked back on the tablesaw and hit my thumb. I think I accidentally hit the blade with my push stick which made it all happen. Just one of those days.

Drstrangefart

As the knuckle prints in outr frond door, old car, last job's work truck, and other random stuff will attest, I feel that kind of pain, and I'm sorry you had a night like that. As hard as it is, I have to walk away after 2 fails and let it rest for a day or two. I had an acrylic painting attempt I made 7 times and never got it down. Took 4 days trying to make it work.

Scooley01

I ruined two acrylic blanks the other day with a wobbly drill press table (I didn't notice the wobble until I had drilled both blanks). Worst part is, they were special gifts for specific people on my Christmas list, and I only ordered one of each blank. It's going to be another week before the replacements get here, and by then the people will have left town. Very frustrating afternoon...you just have to walk away and go somewhere else. I made my roommates help me put up Christmas lights :)

Top Bottom