The Vertex supreme roller & fountain pen kit - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 29

Default The Vertex supreme roller & fountain pen kit

I was looking at this kit its the Vertex Supreme roller & fountain pen kit from
penn state industries and was looking into working on this later in the week
when its warmer.

The diagram shows the ink pump a rollester ink, also the kit comes with a
cartridge that you can stick on their rather than using the pump.

Does this mean you can turn this kit into one of three styles of pens one with
rollester style ink, one with a ink pump, and a cartridge.

I had one fountain pen that I tried and the cartridge did not work that well as
I had hoped for, are the ink pumps more reliable than the cartridge.

Which do you prefer and are easier to use.

What ink bottle brand do most people buy is their a certain one that stands
out from the rest and is a favorite among all others or is it more of a
personal judgement.

Mostly looking for opinions and insight I bought a peaches and mint blank
from signature pen supply that would look really nice on this pen.
penmaker134 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Every Vertex Supreme kit I've bought was either a rollerball or a fountain pen. The fountain pen kit comes with the ink pump and a cartridge so you have your choice of ink sources. I exclusively use cartridges. I've sold one with the ink pump. I've found you have to make sure you push the cartridge in far enough to get it seated well or it won't work.
MTViper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 63

I have made several Vertex Supreme rollerball pens. . That kit does not come with any fountain pen parts. . I believe, also, if you order the fountain pen kit, that it does not come with any rollerball parts. . You have to choose at time of ordering.

Sorry, I cannot advise on fountain pen inks, as I have only ever used the cartridges and not the ink pumps.

I must say that I really have enjoyed turning and assembling the Vertex Supreme rollerball kits.

Be sure to read the instructions all the way through before you start and understand what you have to do ... I cannot remember if there are any errors in those instructions but sometimes there are.

Oh, I just remembered ... you may find that the gold decor ring is an extremely tight fit on the magnetic band ... or maybe it is the clip that is an extremely tight fit on the top finial ... I had trouble with one or the other. . I had to make a wood cylinder with axial hole of the right size to push the parts together with a pen press. . It may be that PSI has corrected the problem because a number of people had the same problem in the early days of that kit.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 01-07-2018 at 10:09 PM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I use a ink converter (pump) with all my fountain pens. Waterman inks are low maintenance and high quality. They are water base making clean up much easier. Diamine inks are a very close second but with a huge range of colors. I usually purchase them from Amazon but one bottle at a time. Ordered two bottles once and they beat each other to pieces during shipping. I also order the Schmidt K5 converter (pump). It much nicer than the one that comes with the kit.

The Vertex comes as a rollerball or a fountain pen only. There is just one set of instructions to cover both kits.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-08-2018, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I used Waterman ink (cartridges) exclusively for years. I was very pleased with them. They were larger (more ink capacity) than the others I tried. Only downside is that they may be too long for some pens.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 246

I use Pelikan at my job because it seems to dry quickly. If you decide to use bottle inks, I suggest getting samples from http://www.gouletpens.com before buying any bottles. They have samples by brands, color, staff favorites, etc. I’m in no way affiliated with them, just a happy customer.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 29

how quickly does it use up the ink when writing with it and can you lay the fountain pens in a pen carrying case if they are flat or will ink seep out
penmaker134 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Default The Vertex supreme roller & fountain pen kit

I usually refill about every 2-3 weeks and use it daily at work with a K5 Schmidt converter. Itís best to keep it nib up. Leaving it flat for a few hours hasnít been a problem. I wouldnít leave it nib down for long. I keep it in a pocket or a cup on my desk. Itís all I use now and really donít like using a ďregularĒ pen. Learn to adjust the nib, it will make a difference even with the kit nib. The Vertex and itís cousin the Graduate use an odd sized nib making it very hard to upgrade. Replacement nibs are usually a #5 or #6. The Vertex is something in between. The size of the #5 with a curvature closer to a #6. A #5 replacement falls out while a #6 is too big for the cap.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited by More4dan; 01-09-2018 at 08:07 PM.
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Just my .000005 cents :-)
I really like the vertex supreme roller ball and FP -I use both personally. However, I am not thrilled with the FP nib, and have found it hard to buy a "better" replacement given its size. Also the magnetic cap is strong, but it does rattle a little if you shake it (small "penalty" for the convenience of mag cap). FWIW.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads