Vertex Disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

Anyone know how to disassemble a Vertex without destroying the mechanism? I had a small chip at the end of an acrylic blank, and overshortened the blank a bit. Consequently, the tip of the refill stick out slightly, just enough I can't use it. I'm usually pretty careful about these things, but missed this one.

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Sometimes you can grab a hold of the clicker assembly with your hands and rock it side to side or sort of wiggle it and pull it apart, depending on how tight the fit was when assembled.

vtgaryw

Thanks. It wasn't moving, but then I thought "Hey, it's a hex nut!" I clamped it between two pieces of wood and a pair of channel locks, twisted, it came right out.

And the great thing is that the too short Vertex blank can very easily become a Stratus blank!

Thanks,

Gary

stuckinohio

I've had to do the same thing as far as shortening. Just in case you don't know, the stratus is .445 thick, whereas the vertex is .433

CREID

Thanks. It wasn't moving, but then I thought "Hey, it's a hex nut!" I clamped it between two pieces of wood and a pair of channel locks, twisted, it came right out.

And the great thing is that the too short Vertex blank can very easily become a Stratus blank!

Thanks,

Gary

Wish I had known that. I don't remember why but I tried to take one apart once and destroyed the click mech. too.

Schroedc

I've also used a piece of steel tubing that fits inside the pen tube but that the mechanism can slide up in to as a punch to drive it out from the inside

vtgaryw

And I had just enough curvature on the blank that I was able to sand down both ends and have enough diameter for the Stratus. Saved a nice piece of acrylic!

Top Bottom