Veneers for segmented pens - how?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

I haven't even figured out spalted blanks yet, and I'm planning a move to yet another method... :cool:

I'm looking to do some segmented blanks and I see a lot of beautiful stuff done with brass and veneers/pick plastics, do any of you make your own veneers? If you do, how do you thickness sand them? I do not own a drum sander (yet I have hilarious images of trying to pass 1"x1"x1/16" pieces of wood through one - yes I know it would be done in larger pieces, but it's an amusing image), so that's not really an option. Are there good sources of material that don't need to be thicknessed? And where are y'all getting your brass?

daniel

--
I know, I'm asking too many questions, but this is the only way I can learn - I don't have anyone local (yet) to apprentice me... :frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

I cut some of my own veneers using a modified version of David Reed Smith's vacuum rip fence on my table saw. See half way down this page:

http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/VacuumRipFence/VacuumRipFence.htm

Other veneers, dyed, exotic and domestic sample packs can be purchased at Woodcraft:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=131396&FamilyID=4978

I get my brass and aluminum here:

http://www.whimsie.com/index.html

Pickguard materials:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials.html

gomeral

Thanks. I typed that up during a brief lunch break and looking back, it was pretty much a "um, yeah, like, um, where do I find veneer?" question. What I meant was more "how do people who make their own do it?", but as someone who has spent lots of time in Woodcraft and other stores, what I added at the end was really kind of dumb... :redface:

daniel

workinforwood

I usually cut my own for pens because they don't need to be that wide. I use a delta drum sander, lucky me! Hand sanding is fine for a slice here and there, but if you are assembling a multitude of strips together, you need precision, where all thicknesses are the same. When I didn't have a drum sander, I just used a really good quality saw blade and a jig where I taped each piece to the jig before cutting. This reduces the saw blade marks which happen when the wood bounces back and forth between the fence and the blade.

marcruby

A well set up bandsaw should be able to cut 1/16" veneer suitable for inlay work. Even thinner with a bit of practice. This means a very sharp blade, the right tension and good alignment between the fence and the blade. Cut along the grain and use a handplane for any needed truing up.

Marc

kirkfranks

I use a drum sander, but probably not the type you are thinking of.
I have a sanding drum (like you could put on your drill press.) These don't cost much so don't count it out just cause you don't have one.
Using a piece of stock clamped like a fence next to the drum you can thickness sand the 1"x12"x?" strip to whatever thickness is needed for the job at hand.

woody350ep

Kirk - So you mean it would be set up like one of them oscillating spindle sanders? I have seen the tubes you can put on the drill press for those. I like your idea and think it would fit my application a bit. I may have to try that out.

kirkfranks

Woody,
Yes except mine is not an oscillating sander.
Just made a "fence by screwing 2 pieces of 1x2 together at a right angle (edge to edge). That is clamped onto the sander and can move as little as needed to get the correct dimension.

If you need more info on this feel free to PM me.

Attachments

• Luthier's_Friend_Sanding_Station_Detail2.jpg
    Luthier's_Friend_Sanding_Station_Detail2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 136

GouletPens

For aluminum, just use a soda can. It might be thinner than you want, but one can will be enough for dozens of pens....pretty cheap!!!

Top Bottom