Veneers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasJohn

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a few sheets of paper backed veneers at a great price. They had some damage on the edges but were otherwise in great condition. I have been holding them for about three years now with no idea of how I would use them. Is there anyway that I can incorporate them into a pen project? Hate to just let them sit there and go to waste. Texas John TIA for any suggestions. Still looking for a source of Jackalope antlers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I tried paper backed veneers once and I would not recomend them for pen since usually the side of the veneer is visible and you can see the paper.
Maybe you could make a pen box out of them[:D]

Rifleman1776

John Bresnan asked, "Still looking for a source of Jackalope antlers." Gee, yer in El Paso, TEXAS. Go hunting for them. Ye do it at night with a flashlight and burlap sack. Just call 'em. Usually found right outside rattlesnake dens. Call right and they'll just jump right into yer sack.

Ron Mc

John,
Have your engraver make you some wood business cards. I'm not sure how big the sheets are but that's what I use for mine.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Color the paper with Magic marker in a contrasting color glue them back to back in a glue up.Or send them to me I can figure out what to do with them[:D]

KenV

Eagle has the right track on this one -- get vibrant colors (artist type) and use the wicking capability of the paper to take color. Glue, turn and try. Most paper backed veneers are not the fancy stuff anyway. You have little to lose but some time, and potentially could have some great outcomes.

Rifleman1776

Seriously.....TexasJohn asked, "Still looking for a source of Jackalope antlers." Suggest one of the other Texans here, Johnny a/k/a RTJW for your jackalope antlers. He has a friend that raises jackalopes.

Just some thoughts

To split a spindle turning in two, paper is sandwiched in-between two boards that are glued together, then turned. The paper acts as a easy seam to separate the two sections.

When using paper backed veneer on a flat project, glue is applied to the wood side then glued to a substrate. When the glue dries, a cabinet scraper is then used to remove the paper.

IMNSHO, I don't think it is a good idea to use paper backed veneer as inlays for pens.

TexasJohn

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. These sheets of veneer are fairly large - I don't remember the size exactly but they are at least 24 X 24". I think I am going to go with pen boxes - if I can figure out how to hide the edges - I've never worked with veneers before. Threw a saddle on my pony yesterday and went out looking for Jackalopes. Saw two but they got away before I could put a rope on them. One was almost half the size of my hoss. Texas John

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Just some thoughts

To split a spindle turning in two, paper is sandwiched in-between two boards that are glued together, then turned. The paper acts as a easy seam to separate the two sections.

When using paper backed veneer on a flat project, glue is applied to the wood side then glued to a substrate. When the glue dries, a cabinet scraper is then used to remove the paper.

IMNSHO, I don't think it is a good idea to use paper backed veneer as inlays for pens.

First off I didn't say inlays I said glue ups.
secondly even if it was an linlay there probably would not be a problem.
Remember a tube will go trough the center adding support.
Geesh! think before you write.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />Paranoia will destroy ya

I wasn't replying to your post, follow your own advise Eagle
Your post does not refrence any particular reply.
It also infers there will be a weak joint and how the paper can beremoved.
Removing the paper is not very innovative, but then again I considered who wrote it.
Coloring it and using it to your advantage might even be considered thinking "outside the box"

Your post

"Just some thoughts

IMNSHO, I don't think it is a good idea to use paper backed veneer as inlays for pens"
I have suggested a few times that Jeff put a "re" feture in the site but he doesn't think it's a good idea.

At first I was wondering why you are trying to start an argument with me again.
I could think of no reason for you to insult me.
Considering who the source was, I was ready to just let it go, thinking you are not worth the aggravation.

But then I started thinking, "Why does he feel like I'm attacking him?"
Then a light turned on!
Eureka. . . I get it now!

Your second post to me confirmed it.

This is how you got some of the colors in your Pentarsia Pen! You used paper that has been colored! I agree with you eagle, now that is thinking out of the box.

Thanks for the tutorial eagle, you have strange ways about you.

BTW, if I'm wrong, you need to work on that paranoia thing we spoke about.[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />At first I was wondering why you are trying to start an argument with me again.
I could think of no reason for you to insult me.
Considering who the source was, I was ready to just let it go, thinking you are not worth the aggravation.

But then I started thinking, "Why does he feel like I'm attacking him?"
Then a light turned on!
Eureka. . . I get it now!

Your second post to me confirmed it.

This is how you got some of the colors in your Pentarsia Pen! You used paper that has been colored! I agree with you eagle, now that is thinking out of the box.

Thanks for the tutorial eagle, you have strange ways about you.

BTW, if I'm wrong, you need to work on that paranoia thing we spoke about.[:D]
Ask Jonny to take a look at it, that would have be some pretty thick paper.
As far as paranoia, nope, just correcting your misinformation.
If you use CA you can glue paper all day long
200572194618_july%202%20003.jpg

But then again it might be innovative

coach

I have had the pleasure of holding the pentarsia. No paper in there, just perfectly cut pieces of wood. I will also say that Eagle's finish is absolutly amazing. It is like glass and is deep. Deep is the only way I can describe it. When I held up the pentarsia pen, light was shining on me with angels singing in the background! LOL[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />If I send you enough shreaded money for a couple of pens, will you make a pen and send it to me?
Maybe but there would have to be a LOT of legal American tender that WASN"T wasn't shredded[:D]
Also a document stating that you intentionally destroyed the currency

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an interesting link regarding shredded currency.
http://www.moneyfactory.gov/section.cfm/8/40

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />Aw Jeff ya ruinin my fun
http://www.oldcash.com/
I didn't se anything in the link that said I couldn't use it to make a pen.
You send the kit you want it on, If I don't have the bushings,those also they will be returned.
You supply the kit, shredded currency bushings,
You will pay for my time.
Are YOU game?

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />
<br />I'm still waiting for you to do that with cut up dollar bills
Send the cut ut bills and I will
(thanks for serving up the can of corn[:D])

<br />
You send the kit you want it on, If I don't have the bushings,those also they will be returned.
Are YOU game?

Tryin to wiggle out now are ya![:D] Next you'll ask for a limo to deliver it[8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />

<br />
<br />I'm still waiting for you to do that with cut up dollar bills
Send the cut ut bills and I will
(thanks for serving up the can of corn[:D])

<br />
Are YOU game?

Tryin to wiggle out now are ya![:D] Next you'll ask for a limo to deliver it[8D]

priorty mail will be fine

KenV

Hey guys --

Ron, the paper on veneer you referred to is veneer tape. I have rolls of it and have used it. Paper backed veneer is a different product where very very thin veneer is afixed to a paper backing. This product is often used to cover doors and is quite flexible. It functions as micro plywood.

Back when I was working in DC a number of years ago, one could acquire bags of shredded bills that had been removed from circulation. I expect that Eagle could turn that into an awsome money pen!!!

I have seen some pretty neat stuff with colored pens from both Bonnie Klein and Eagle --

Am waiting to be impressed again --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom