Veneers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbg230

Now that I have a scroll saw, I'd like to start making up some interesting blanks and incorporating some veneer into the design. Is there a recommended thickness of veneer to use and any suggestions about sources to obtain the veener other than the premium vendors?
It seems like just having a dark veneer (walnut) and a lighter veener (maple) would suffice in order to create pen blank segments offset by the contrasting veneer colors. I have some 4"-5" wide boards of these woods. How diffucult is it to make the veneer with a bandsaw?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

Now that I have a scroll saw, I'd like to start making up some interesting blanks and incorporating some veneer into the design. Is there a recommended thickness of veneer to use and any suggestions about sources to obtain the veener other than the premium vendors?
It seems like just having a dark veneer (walnut) and a lighter veener (maple) would suffice in order to create pen blank segments offset by the contrasting veneer colors. I have some 4"-5" wide boards of these woods. How diffucult is it to make the veneer with a bandsaw?

I get my veneers from 3.50 per sheet and up.
my average price is 4.00 per sheet of dyed .038 maple and dyed maple veneers warp or are wavy................

I can buy .018 at 6.50 per sheet .

Band saw ,, I use wood I cut in my band saw as inlays , but the edge is rough ..

As of quality of veneers ,, you need to know not all veneers hold there color if certain finishes are being used ..
That not be a big deal to most pen turners or turners ...
Its a big deal to me ,,,, I cant have veneers that bleed color or dye ...

.038 veneers supplier
https://www.cuesmith.com/colored-veneers.html
.018 veneers supplier
Other Supplies < 50 dollar min <
Veneer

Atlas billiard supply have veneers too , they have a 100.00 minimum .
I can buy .038 maple veneer for 3.50 per sheet un dyed ...

I looked up how to dye your own veneers but for 50 cents per sheet its just as easy to buy them pre dyed .

Last edited:

Skie_M

When doing certain types of inlay with wood and other material, it is BEST if your veneer or inlay material matches your inlay cuts in kerf width EXACTLY. Otherwise, you get a gap or your blank will appear to "bend" at that point, due to the extra width of the veneer or inlay material.

Making your own veneers is only going to be viable if you are either making a very small amount or making it out of a piece of exotic wood that would be a prohibitive cost to obtain as a veneer otherwise...

It's typically going to be quite expensive and hard to handle, involving a lot of time that would normally be done doing other things...

That having been said, if you have the proper jigs and tools, it doesn't need to cost you an arm and a leg for just a little bit!

#1: Dust Collector .... you're going to need some kind of protection from airborne dust.

#2: Band Saw with a Fence .... for resaw of your woods to obtain the rough veneer. You need to be able to cut reliably straight! The band saw will serve to get you close .... a "ballpark" rough cut.

#3: Planer or flat work Belt Sander ... this is to prep the blank on one or both sides BEFORE cutting the rough veneer.

#3: Thickness Sander .... If you don't have your own, or one that can handle pieces this light and small, you can easily make a small jig to handle small pieces of veneer stock. This is to finish the other side of the veneer and get it to your final thickness of choice.

Also ... if you can't seem to make the proper cuts on the bandsaw and still want to try to make veneers, and are willing to sacrifice a little extra wood to get there, a table saw with a fine cutting plywood blade or similar will work in it's place. Just make certain that you are using a riving knife behind the blade, a zero clearance insert, a properly set and adjusted fence, and possibly a sacrificial push-stick or push-block.

Now ... once you have your oversized veneer stock, you have to get it down to the thickness you need.

I've seen and replicated drawings of a fairly simple thickness sander here on IAP that is designed to be attached to a drill press. A false table is laid down on the drill press table, with 1 adjustable fence and 1 stationary fence, or if you only plan to create one size of veneer, 2 stationary fences are fine so long as you always rough cut your veneer the same size all the time.

The stock needs to pass the drum against it's rotation, to ensure it won't just be shooting out the other side.

The drum will have the sandpaper glued or attached to it's surface ... you can easily create such a drum yourself using the lathe. In fact, it's probably a great idea to make multiple drums, each with the same size but carrying various different grits.

Some veneers will be fine with 180 or 220 grit, while others may benefit best from going all the way up to 1200 grit. (I can cite a specific example of that particular wood.) Typically, you'll want grits ranging from 120 for fast roughing work up to around 600 for ultra-fine finish.

Make certain your fence is adjusted to the drum to achieve the thickness you need, and you may want to practice with a piece of cheaper wood to get to the thickness you are looking for ... then lock the table down by clamping it to the drill press table and pass your veneers through the drum sanding attachment one by one till you are finished.

It is typically best to make 30% more than you think you'll need, to cover for breakage in handling or damage/loss during use, and in case repairs are required it's best to have a little extra on hand.

jttheclockman

Hello Jake

Nice to read you are thinking of doing some segmenting work. There are articles in the library that maybe of some help to you. Also there is a segmenting forum here that has a ton of info and examples of segmented work. Buying colored veneers is as mentioned possible Woodcraft sells packages that work well with different types of segmenting. Many different ways to segment and remember if scrolling the kerf is as thin as you will ever get it. The next step up would be a bandsaw blade. There is some info here as to what would be needed if you were to make your own. If you have the tools then have at it. For colored venners don't bother yourself and just buy them. Not worth the effort. As I said take a look around and if you see something in particular you need more info on stop back here and ask away. But segmenting can be done various ways and too long to explain. Good luck.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I made a mistake in ordering a sample of colors from Rockler. Very pretty colors but they are way too thin, almost paper thin.

I love the chevrons that Mark James makes and decided to get a sample of veneers to look at, think about, and play with. Then after getting the Rockler, I realized that I would probably have to make my own. I have a drum thickness sander (and dust collector) so I can do that. I was at Grizzly in Springfield last week end and looked at their veneers, and they too were too thin for chevrons or for celtic knots.

I am now figuring that I will need 1/16, 1/24 or 1/32; that is approx. .06" to .03" or 1.5 mm to .8 mm.

Know what you want to do; figure the sizes and look for veneer that matches - or make it. I will have to dye what I want. And as Skie wrote, you will need a BS, thickness sander and dust collector. If enough of us make these, then the commercial businesses will begin making colored veneer in decent thicknesses.

Last edited:

farmer

Olive wood with cocobolo inlays, I cut the cocobolo strips to .038 on my band saw .

I made these on my lathe using a indexer and a live cutter.

Finished product
Olive wood with purple heart inlays cut with a band saw

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I made a mistake in ordering a sample of colors from Rockler. Very pretty colors but they are way too thin, almost paper thin.

I love the chevrons that Mark James makes and decided to get a sample of veneers to look at, think about, and play with. Then after getting the Rockler, I realized that I would probably have to make my own. I have a drum thickness sander (and dust collector) so I can do that. I was at Grizzly in Springfield last week end and looked at their veneers, and they too were too thin for chevrons or for celtic knots.

I am now figuring that I will need 1/16, 1/24 or 1/32; that is approx. .06" to .03" or 1.5 mm to .8 mm.

Know what you want to do; figure the sizes and look for veneer that matches - or make it. I will have to dye what I want. And as Skie wrote, you will need a BS, thickness sander and dust collector. If enough of us make these, then the commercial businesses will begin making colored veneer in decent thicknesses.

Glue together Hank and you have any size you want. Remember it is end grain you are only seeing. Veneers that you are seeing are for those special projects like jewelry boxes.

leehljp

Member Liaison

Glue together Hank and you have any size you want. Remember it is end grain you are only seeing. Veneers that you are seeing are for those special projects like jewelry boxes.

I would have to glue two, three or four layers of one color, and do the same for other colors. Too much work. As I wrote, those veneers are literally paper thin. .01 x 3 for 1/32 or x 4 for 1/24. Labor intensive and you have to worry about glue lines in the same colored material, which is the main reason I decided I did not want to laminate same colors to make one thicker of the same color. that might be acceptable to some but when you make a high end pen, laminated same colors will look cheap like plywood.

jttheclockman

People are using construction paper to do segmenting. Just a thought so you don't throw them out. Good luck and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

farmer

I want them

Hank I will buy the thin veneers .

I am into cheap inlays ..........
How much ????

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
John: I am not going to throw them out. I will play with them just for fun.

Farmer: Thanks for the offer, but I do want to keep them. I need the experimentation practice. I might learn something - probably will! :biggrin:

I am a little beside myself for not checking on the thickness before ordering. :redface: But I have learned to learn from my mistakes! :rolleyes:

farmer

I am a little beside myself for not checking on the thickness before ordering. :redface: But I have learned to learn from my mistakes! :rolleyes:

If you take the veneers to a trophy shop they can laser cut your sheets of veneers into veneer washers ...
just have them cut the ID and OD to the size you want.

PS save all your veneer scraps .

Your thin veneers are now usable ......................

Top Bottom