Varuable Speed verses....Variable Speed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodtod11

I'm looking at a sale on a Jet 10 X 14 Jet Mini Lathe with Indexing Head, Model 708375 vs a Jet Model JML-1014IVS . It looks like the only differance is the VS dial. The sale is $339 on the model 708375 and the regular price on the VS is $539. Is it worth another $200 to just get the 1014 VS?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kyaggie

I have a Jet 1014VS and for as much as I use the variable speed dial, the VS version is worth at least $500 of the lathe price!

Mike

turncrazy43

The VS feature is worth more than the price difference convenience wise.

JerrySambrook

Or you could save the 200, buy the lathe, and then for just over 100, buy the Penn State conversion, which has, in my opinion, a better motor.
Save almost 100 dollars at that point.

Then again, the conversion might be more expensive than the 99.00 I paid for the three that I have done so far.

walshjp17

I bought a Rikon Mini when I first started out. Then after playing with a VS machine, I bought the VS conversion kit and have not regretted it since. Saved at least $100 over the VS model, BTW.

Tim'sTurnings

I also bought the VS conversion motor from PSI for my Jet 1014. I really like it over the changing of belts all the time. Changing belts doesn't take a lot of time but in my opinion the variable speed is much better. And as stated, the conversion kit option would be cheaper than buying the factory VS Jet.

(Oh, if you leave stuff in your cart with PSI a few days you will get an email for a 5% off code. If you leave it in your cart longer they will send you a 10% off code. Happened to me twice, nice to have a discount)

Tim.

dogcatcher

Forget the conversion kit, it doesn't have the power like the original Jet motor.

I started turning along time before the advent of the modern variable speed lathes. It takes seconds to change the speed, I do not see it as a real inconvenience either. If spending money is not a problem, go with the best, but if money is problem, I would chose the non variable speed. The lathe is only the start too spending money, plan on another bundle of money for chucks, chisels, safety equipment, sharpening systems, pen supplies, pen making supplies, finishing supplies, and the list never stops

Top Bottom