Various color cast resin blanks (molds)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scturner

Hello everyone!

I've been curious about casting resin blanks so I decided to take the plunge and give it a go. Not all that dificult to make but the fumes do require a good gas mask.:D Everyone's been making some gourgous blanks on the board, hope mine look as good when there turned into a pen. I did go ahead and make a cigar pen laminating a black resin blank with curly maple down the center. I'll try and post a pic of it. I got a little casting happy and made more molds of blanks than I can use at the moment so if anyone is interested in buying some blanks email me on my website, hope that's ok to say. Please let me know if it's out of line??. Below is a pic of some full molds I made in various colors. I also did some solid colors just to see how they would look when cured. These can be mixed and matched with other colors to make some unique pens. I made the orange and white (mother of pearl) molds especially for Clemson football fans since I live in South Carolina. I'll be putting a few of those pens in an upscale gift shop soon.Ok guys, I'd appreciate any feedback on these.

200552817502_Resin-blanks--11.jpg

Ok guys, I'd appreciate any feedback on these.

Thanks,
David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtjw

They all look great. I dont know how well the brown would do (blanks already cut up and laying down with rubber band) but the green is absolutely fantastic.

scturner

Hey guys!

Thanks for your opinions on my molds. All these didn't turn out as planned (swirl wise) but then I've found there's definately a little learning curve to get the color/swirl combo just right. I need to work on getting these perfect just before gelling sets in. I've got more resin so I'll practice more with that. Yes Johnny I think the green came out really nice and maybe the others as well. Can't tell really how they'll look until turned I suppose. The blanks with the rubber band around them are actually black resin. I guess they may look different depending on computer monitor. They actually look like ebony- jet black! The pen below was made with a black resin blank and curly maple. Oh, forgot to include my link in my signature.

Anthony, are you still making your resin blanks?

Johnny, I've bought some blanks on ebay before and noticed 'rtjw' as a seller their selling corn cob pen blanks, would that be you by any chance? If so, that's a really cool and clever product you have there!

2005528191323_DSCF0004.jpg
<br />

PenWorks

Haven't done any lately, kinda got a little side tracked doin some other stuff. Also thinking of some different casting techniques before I start up again. I like the wood/resin combo, different, that's sharp.

Deere41h

Hey David...Nice job of casting. That cigar pen really looks great. I just did my first black with a bit of pearl. I hope it turns out as nice as yours. Thanks for sharing with us.

scturner

Thanks everybody for the compliments!!! My wife actually picked the colors for the pen, that one's hers. I've been trying to get her interested in pen turning but I don't think it's her thing..oh well. I like doing contrast in things I make as to me just seem more interesting. But these blanks I think look great all on their own!

Anthony, looking forward to seeing your new blanks when you get back at it. Yes, black with a bit of pearl would make a spectacular pen I think! I'm gonna do some more experimenting with the colors to try and make some colors more pronounced, we'll see.

Well, got 10 pen kits yesterday so better get busy making resin dust. I might post some pics when their ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom