Vail postable - measure before turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

I recently changed from the Gent Jr. to the Vail postable RB/FP kits and learned the hard way why one should always measure the hardware before turning the blank. Both trim rings supplied in the kit measured .512", yet the instructions show bushings and call for only one to be .512" and the other to be .480". I only discovered this at final assembly and needed to toss the finished blank as it was way undersized at one end because of this.

All of the kits I have are the same, so I'll just turn the blanks larger to accommodate the hardware, but I don't care for the lack of a slight taper on the lower barrel doing it this way. Just thought I'd pass this on in case you're about to make the same. I also let the supplier know for his information.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

Dick, you have just found the reason I measure the hardware and turn between centers. Besides being incorrect, like you found, bushings also change size when sanding and the occasional scrape with chisels.
I have calipers all over my shop. They aren't very expensive at HF and they have saved me many times in sizing.
I'm glad you let the mfg. know about the error. The Vail looks a lot like the Atrax from Exotic Blanks - are they the same?
Thanks for posting the warning.
gordon

Dick Mahany

Dick, you have just found the reason I measure the hardware and turn between centers. Besides being incorrect, like you found, bushings also change size when sanding and the occasional scrape with chisels.
I have calipers all over my shop. They aren't very expensive at HF and they have saved me many times in sizing.
I'm glad you let the mfg. know about the error. The Vail looks a lot like the Atrax from Exotic Blanks - are they the same?
Thanks for posting the warning.
gordon

Gordon,
I make my own TBC bushings and used the instructions to make the bushings while my order was being delivered. I did use calipers to make the bushings, but foolishly never checked the against the hardware :redface:. Lesson learned, but then again, I usually learn the hard way:rolleyes:

I usually use the info in the excellent library docs for tubes and bushings to compare kits from other manufacturers, but haven't checked the Vail against the Atrax yet.

Dick Mahany

Clarification from the supplier

I just received an email from the supplier explaining that there is a supplemental clarification for the bushings had I researched them separately, Unfortunately, I only used the instructions and never expected supplemental instructions in another document when I made my bushings.

I have to give credit to the supplier for a quick response and the supplier's bushings would have the supplemental instructions and avoid the situation that I had.

toddlajoie

Is the blank gone??? I hope not... If you know the plating, you can post a request, and I would bet that someone on here has a .480 trim ring in the same plating laying around that they would send you ( I don't or I would offer...) so you could finish the pen...

If I remember the kits right, that is the tail end of the Jr.2 Series, and you see quite a few closed end Jr Gent2's and such. Each of those pens has left an orphaned .480 trim ring out there somewhere....

Dick Mahany

Is the blank gone??? I hope not... If you know the plating, you can post a request, and I would bet that someone on here has a .480 trim ring in the same plating laying around that they would send you ( I don't or I would offer...) so you could finish the pen...

If I remember the kits right, that is the tail end of the Jr.2 Series, and you see quite a few closed end Jr Gent2's and such. Each of those pens has left an orphaned .480 trim ring out there somewhere....

Thanks for the suggestion and offer! The supplier pointed out that I could still use the blank for one of their non-postable Vails, so that's probably how I'll go.

Top Bottom