Vacuum stabilizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodspinner

Has anyone tried using a pressure cooker for a vacuum chamber?
I was thinking about trying it by attaching the vacuum hose to the port on top of the lid. My only worry is implosion.
I have looked at true vacuum chambers and they do not look any heavier than a cooker and they cost a lot more.
I was thinking of the canning type.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

This probably belongs under the "stabiliztion with pressure cooker forum but I'll give my reply here and wait for it to bew moved.
Don't worry about implosion.
I am using a mason jar pulling 25" hg. with a venturi vacuum pump and my compressor.
I think someone used a gallon paint can and it did implode though.
I thought of a pressure cooker but I like to watch what's happening. The Mason jars are cheaper.
Maybe this will go to the Mason Jar forum.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Bill,
I agree that the pressure cooker idea should work. I adapted a cheap Wal-Mart pressure cooker years ago to be a pressure pot for denture repairs. The only problem was that the gasket on the pot seemed to wear out and leak much sooner than I expected, making holding pressure, or in your case, negative pressure hard to maintain. I have to agree with the Eagle, it is fun to watch a process develop, why do you think they put windows on oven doors? LOL

William

Doghouse

Nope, you have a problem with the seal. It is designed to hold pressure in, it leaks slowly. The main problem I have been having with it is that the seal is destroyed after the first use with laquer. I have not been in the shop for a while, so I cannot tell you of a fix yet.

jwoodwright

Harbor Freight has an Air Vacuum Pump for $9.99! Item 03952-4CXA.(Venturi-Type Vacuum Pump)
Connect to YOUR Air Compressor (Min 4.2 CFM) @90 psi you get 28.3" of Mercury... Probally should read 4.2 CFM @ 90 PSI = 28.3" Mg [8D]There are charts for Applying Vacuum. A Vacuum Guage and Bleed Valve is MANDATORY.The Turners on Wood On-Line had many discussions on this... I.E. a smaller Vessel will need more Vacuum,while a Larger Surface would collasp under the Same Vacuum...

G

Vacuum gauge is not mandatory but hepls. Bubbles let you know when something is happening.You do need a vlve between the unit and the chamber.
Grainger has 1/4" ball valves for around 3-4 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom