Vacuum for stabilising or PR work...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

That would be reeeeealy messy. Just use a glass jar, some fittings, some teflon tape, a guage and a hand pump. Pumps come in ezbleeder kits from autoshops.

gerryr

That's a lot more money than you need to spend. Brake bleeder pumps from auto parts stores are a lot cheaper. If you really want to save some money, here's a link to plans to build your own pump.

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/aero/vacuum/index.html

CameronPotter

Thanks for the replies! I have looked into getting a brake bleeder, but I could only find automatic ones which cost a lot more.

I may have another look and if I can't find it - I might make the one in that link. Have you tried it before?

Cheers

Cam

CameronPotter

I just tracked down a vacuum pump here and they said it would costs $118. Thus, the $54 being asked on the website I posted seems pretty reasonable. Mind you, it may not be strong enough.

It looks like a home built one might be the go.

Cam

Skye

On ebay, do a search for this number: 7591889146 It's a handheld pump with a build in guage. May want to try something like that.

CameronPotter

Thanks. That is a much better price. What is more the shipping to Australia wouldn't be too prohibitive - about $15.

I would just have to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. Not too bad really.

Cheers

Cam

TedHunter

The Thin Air Press kit that Woodcraft sells is actually manufactured by the Roarockit Skateboard Company. The TAP Kit started out as a way to teach young people how to laminate skateboard decks in Hawaii.

The hand pump that is used comes from the wine industry, a company called VacuVin supplies it to us. This little pump will pull (without a problem) 25 HG. this equals many of the electric vacuum pumps on the market used for vacuum veneering. It is a High HG/Low volume pump. Its original use, a pump to evacuate air from wine bottles, is available at most liquor, wine stores and on EBay.

I did a lot of testing of pumps when I first come up with the idea of using a hand pump for vacuum veneering. I tried the brake bleeder pump and found out quickly that it was too hard on the fingers to evacuate air from a 14" X 47" vacuum bag and that it was not as powerful as the VacuVin.

All this may not be an issue for what you are working on as I suspect the volume of air you are dealing with is quite small. I am not familiar with the process you are wanting to do with a vacuum chamber but I suspect it would be, as mentioned, pretty messy when done in a bag. The TAP kit is really meant for vacuum veneering and clamping pieces of wood together for gluing.

We sell the kits online but your best bet if you are wanting to buy one and wanting to save money on shipping is to buy it through almost any of the large online tool companies across the US and Canada. In Australia Carba-Tec distribute our kits. They almost all have local stores close to cities.

I hope this answers some of the questions you may have about our kit.
There are lots of links to see what people are using our kits for on our Blog at the Roarockit site.
http://roarockit.blogsome.com/

Thanks.

Ted Hunter
Product Development
Roarockit

CameronPotter

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I tried the Vacuvin (as it had other uses too) and it worked beautifully.

I may end up getting a few vac. bags later for other wood work.

I tired it for stabilising and also for plastic making...

Beautiful.

Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom