Vacuum sealing CA glue...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joek30296

I bought a 4.6 oz. bottle of Stickfast CA from Woodcraft this weekend and probably won't be able to use it up in a year. I've read that it can be kept in the fridge but taking it in and out causes condensation and that causes it to harden.

Has anyone tried vacuum sealing, like with a FoodSaver Vac system to extend CA life?

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan26

Depending on how often you plan to vacuum seal it, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new bottle if the old one is no good.

plantman

I use a lot of CA in the 8 oz. bottles and have not had problems with it hardening in my shop that stays at 55-65 degrees year round unless I turn the heater on. I think you can use an old trick that woodworker use with stains and paints. Put the cap back on the bottle right after every use. When you put your glue away for an extended amount of time, take the cap of and squeeze the air out of the bottle, and with the glue near the top of the bottle, replace the cap tightly. Store the glue upside down making a seal with the glue itself, and keeping air from entering the bottle. This works good for paints, resins, and stains, as all the heavys don't sink to the bottom of the can and air can't get in. Also temp. is a big factor in the shelf life of CA glue, a lot of people keep it in the frig. Jim S

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

CA glue is best when fresh. I think you would be better off buying smaller bottles more frequently. But you already have this big bottle. You could consider buying a couple 1 or 2 oz plastic bottles and store most of it in your fridge, keeping only an ounce or so out in the shop for regular use.

Lots of bottles for sale on ebay cheap that would work.

I get about a year out of a fresh bottle of ca (direct from the manufacturer) in my shop. This is in hot, humid south Florida. Starts to thicken up after that.

Ed

plantman

CA glue is best when fresh. I think you would be better off buying smaller bottles more frequently. But you already have this big bottle. You could consider buying a couple 1 or 2 oz plastic bottles and store most of it in your fridge, keeping only an ounce or so out in the shop for regular use.

Lots of bottles for sale on ebay cheap that would work.

I get about a year out of a fresh bottle of ca (direct from the manufacturer) in my shop. This is in hot, humid south Florida. Starts to thicken up after that.

Ed

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Let me add to Ed's thread. Go to a beauyt supply store and ask for tint bottles. They come with the long needle like plastic spout that saves glue and makes for very precise applacation. I think the were around $1.19 each. I put the bottle aside because the tops screw on my 8 oz. glue bottles. If you just buy the standard cap replacement alone at the hobby shop, they want $2.95 for the wide tipped cap. The small tips will actualy seal themselfs after use. Just take your fingernail and remove the dried plug. Jim S

joek30296

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I did pour some into a smaller bottle and vacuum sealed the rest and will put it in the fridge. I guess I'll be content if I can get a year out of it.
I had forgotten about the woodworker's trick of turning stains, etc. upside down. I usually do that but didn't think about it.
Thanks again for your responses.

Joe

Dai Sensei

I buy my CA by the litre and store it in the fridge for over 2 years without an issue. I decant it as necessary into smaller bottles for use, then get the large bottle back in the fridge ASAP, before it has a chance to form any moisture.

JD Combs Sr

I buy my CA by the litre and store it in the fridge for over 2 years without an issue. I decant it as necessary into smaller bottles for use, then get the large bottle back in the fridge ASAP, before it has a chance to form any moisture.
+1 on decanting to smaller bottles.

Top Bottom