Vacuum pump

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Taday at the local flea market one guy had a new vacuum pump. No box, no manual, but it was a new one. I don't know how old. It had stickers indicating what wt. of oil to use and to be sure to fill it with oil before use. There has never been any oil in it. It was a 'rotary vacuum pump'. I could not find a make or model. It was 2.5cfm, 110volt. He wanted $50. Good price or not? Thinking about casting and vacuum chucking. Comments please.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

Don,

I think that is a good deal. I'm interested in doing some veneer work using a vacuum press. I've been searching for surplus vacuum sources but have given up. I can't seem to find the smaller pumps, only industrial size. Anyway, I'm this close -> <- to buying the rebuilt pump from Veneer Supplies for $162. So yes, I'd say $50 is a deal![}:)]

If you don't want it, buy it for me, lol. [:D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br /> So yes, I'd say $50 is a deal![}:)]

I'd say $50.00 is a STEAL!

2.5 cfm is more than the .5 cfm minimum needed for vacuum stabilizing but if you’re a bowl turner you just got yourself a heck of a start for vacuum chucking. Those “deep cycle†pumps generally go in the $300-$600 ranges. We use a 2.5 at work to vaccum impregnate sintered bronze bearings it pumps down a 50 gallon unit in about 3 minutes.

Good score Don.

KenV

Don - the rotary vane pumps should not have the diaphram problems that are the bane of some pumps. If it runs, it should be a good deal. Many of those come with a motor close coupled, and if it has a 1/2 hp motor or so included, you may be charged with theft.

You may want to take a look at the www.joewoodworker.com/ site as he sells some kits for vacuum chucking for a nominal amount.

cozee

If you have an air compressor, you may want to consider an air powered vacuum pump. Harbor Freight has 2 models, both capable of pulling 28" of vacuum. One is $15.99 and the R134a rated unit is on sale for $9.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92475

alamocdc

Don, I've been looking for a vac pump like that for some time now, and like Scott said, they are usually several hundred dollars. So yes, I'd say it was a great deal. I think Dario got one for even less a while back. Now if I could only fall into one.[;)]

its_virgil

I went back by the flea market after church today and purchased the pump. Got him down to $45. I'll post a picture of it later this afternoon. Now, what do I do with it?[:D][:D] No use sending a post telling me to send it to you, this baby is staying here...I have some casting chores for it..if I can figure out how to use it. Anyone who uses vacuum to cast and wants to share, I'm Listening. Thanks to all.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Taday at the local flea market one guy had a new vacuum pump. No box, no manual, but it was a new one. I don't know how old. It had stickers indicating what wt. of oil to use and to be sure to fill it with oil before use. There has never been any oil in it. It was a 'rotary vacuum pump'. I could not find a make or model. It was 2.5cfm, 110volt. He wanted $50. Good price or not? Thinking about casting and vacuum chucking. Comments please.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom